Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

New additional SSD not showing up on computer

Heliox
Beginner

Hi there,

I'm having a few problems which i suspect is caused by the IRST.

I have an Acer Swift 3 laptop which had a standard 256GB hard drive. I have just added an additional 1TB SSD drive after which i got IRST popping up showing both drives (I didn't even kow i had the IRST software!!) The problem is that only the IRST shows the new drive. It is not shown anywhere in Windows explorer, disk management or system

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, my general guidance is that, if you are not using RAID and you are not using Optane, you don't need Intel RST installed and you should uninstall it -- but don't do it yet!

In your case, the situation is a bit more complicated. You've somehow clicked on the wrong link and created a RAID1 array containing both your original drive and your new drive (the new drive is essentially a Recovery Volume for - a copy of - your old drive). If you leave things as they are, your new drive will never be accessible separately. You are going to have to delete this volume (which also includes your old drive).

You should be able to do this from the RST GUI, but I believe you need to run the GUI As-Administrator before this option will show up. If you can't get it to show up, reboot and, when the system splash screen appears, press CTRL-I to invoke the RST ROM program. From here, you can delete the volume and mark the drives are being unused by RST.

Once you have removed the RAID1 array, you should be able to boot into Windows and see the drive separately. If anything RST pops up, just dismiss it or you will end up back where you were. Once you verify that you can see the new drive in the Disk Management app, then uninstall RST.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Heliox
Beginner

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply. this certainly looks like a better option for me as on another Forum they are asking me to take the SSD back out of the lptop and initialise it via an external case.

One thing though would it be possible to make the instructions a little easier i knowlage of computers but not to the detail you have mentioned as a few words have thrown me like GUI and Splash screen...

There is no major rush as i have had to go away for work for the next two weeks and i won't be doing anything with my laptop incase it all goes horrible wrong and i land up without my laptop.

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Heliox,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I wanted to share with you’re the following article.

The article provided above contains all the steps to delete a RAID array, feel free to use them as a guidance.

The steps provide by the community peer n_scott_pearson are correct and I would strongly recommend testing them.

Please let us know if you have an update on this matter.

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos
Heliox
Beginner

Thanks for the link Esteban,

Before i start just a quick question.

It looks like i'll have to do it via the first route as i don't have a 'Home' tab on the RST software so i'll have to di it via the ROM. If i delete the Raid Volume does this in any way affect the original drive i have installed on my computer the one with all my data on it?

Regards

Steve

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If that drive was not part of the RAID array, it won't be touched by the deletion of the array.

...S

0 Kudos
Heliox
Beginner

HI Scott,

My laptop had a 256GB drive and then I added a 1TB SSD at some point the RTS software combined the two to form the array. I'm not sure if the 256GB drive was a single array in the first place as i mentioned earlier it wasn't untill i added the 1TB drive i found out that i had RTS installed on my computer!

Steve

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I understand what you are saying, @Heliox, but you need to understand that it doesn't do this conversion automatically. It makes an offer and you must have responded positively to this offer before it occurred. 

Regardless, it happened and you need to fix it. @Sebastian_M_Intel has provided you with the steps to revert them properly. The only thing I would add it that, when reinstalling Windows 10, you should,

1. Stop at the Installer scene where you specify the partition to install Windows 10 to.
  2. Delete all existing partitions on the drive.
  3. Select to install to the Unallocated Space entry (this will ensure partition table is reinitialized and nothing from previous installation affects it.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Heliox, 

Thank you for your reply. 

Based on the pictures you provided, I can see that the Intel® RST has created a recovery drive, this has caused the unit to have one drive as recovery, we have already fixed this issue as you can see here. Unfortunately, this feature cannot be reverted, if you would like to have the computer with the previous configuration, you will need to contact your system manufacturer (OEM) and check the best way to reset the recovery drive. 

Our instructions are: 

1. Turn on the computer. When prompted during system startup, press Ctrl + I to enter the option ROM user interface. 
  2. Reset all the drives to "Non-Raid" 
  3. Then you will need to reinstall the Operating System (OS) as factory settings  
  4. This will delete any structure and OS files.  

Note: If you cannot access the ROM with the Ctrl + I combination, you also need to check with the OEM for the correct way to access this option; or if the RAID is managed within the BIOS.

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Heliox,  

Were you able to check the previous post and follow our recommendations? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Heliox, 

We have not received a response from you, so we will close this inquiry.

If you have any additional questions, please submit a new thread as this one will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Regards,  

Sebastian M 

0 Kudos