Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2089 Discussions

RAID 0 : Abnormal status reported by Rapid Storage Technology UEFI driver

tethisIT
Beginner

Hi there,

we built a computer with Intel Z790 chipset, i9-14900KF CPU, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero board and installed Windows 11 on a RAID 0 with 4 x 1 TB Nvme SSDs connected to the RST controller.

RAID 0 because of performance considerations.

Now, the computer suddenly froze and we had to power cycle it.

During boot, the following message is shown:

Abnormal status reported by Rapid Storage Technology UEFI driver

Windows then runs into a Bluescreen "Inaccessible boot device".

Booting from an installation media, Windows doesn't see the RAID anymore.

Checking the Intel RST Raid configuration, we find the RAID 0 in "Normal" state with all 4 drives showing.
The last drive shows a status "Error occured", the others show status "Raid member".

If we disable the RST controller in BIOS, the drives show up as normal SSDs and we can perform a SSD self test (basic and extended) on all drives. All SSDs complete the tests without error!

We therefore assume that the SSD might have had a temporary issue and is now fine again, but the RST controller remembers the "abnormal status".

Is there a way to force the RAID 0 to normal state without loosing the data?

Deleting the array in BIOS and recreating it erases all the data (tried on different machine).

Taking one SSD out of the array by making it "non member" causes the RAID 0 to switch to failed state and there's no way to add the drive afterwards. Again, the data is gone. (tried that on a different machine, too)

Any hint would be highly appreciated, we are stuck right now...

Thanks and kind regards,

Christian

signal-2024-07-08-090529_002.jpegsignal-2024-07-08-090529_003.jpeg

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Tethisit,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

Appreciate the detailed information that you provided regarding the issue, including the things that you have tried. To be able to provide you viable suggestions, kindly provide the following information:

1. May we know the model of the 4 x 1TB NVME that you are using? Do all of them have the same model?

2. Did you happen to trace on which M.2 port is the drive showing an error occurred status connected to? Is it connected to the M2_1 port which is the only M.2 port capable of PCIe 5.0?

3. I think you are aware that a Raid 0 type of RAID array does not have any error recovery, thus if one member fails, a rebuild option to recover the RAID array is not available. May we know why you preferred a RAID 0 instead of a RAID 5 which has error recovery?

We will wait for your answers.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Tethisit,

I wanted to check if you had the chance to read the questions that we posted. Please let me know at your earliest convenience so that we can determine the best course of action to resolve this matter.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos