Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2108 Discussions

RAID 5 No rebuild option after replacing drive

rmicona
Beginner

I have a RAID 5 setup on a thinkserver ST250.

One of the drives failed, it became an unknown device. Status: Controller Unknown, Port Unknown.

I installed a replacement drive into its slot and scanned, the drive shows up but the only option I have is to mark as spare.

I have no Rebuild to another disk option and auto rebuild doesn't seem to be taking place.

I also noticed the old failed drive is still showing even tho its not connected anymore.

Any help would be great.

I attached some photos of what I am seeing.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RandyT_Intel

Hello rmicona,

To assist you effectively and resolve your issue, I need some additional information. Kindly provide answers to the following questions: 

• What is the model/version of your RAID controller, and is its firmware up to date?
  • Which RAID management utility are you using (e.g., MegaRAID Storage Manager, Lenovo XClarity Administrator)? Have you tried accessing the utility to manually remove the old drive entry?
  • Is the replacement drive identical in specifications (e.g., capacity, speed, model) to the failed drive?
  • Have you tried reinitializing the new drive through the RAID management utility? If so, what was the outcome?
  • Have you checked the BIOS/UEFI settings to ensure the RAID controller is correctly configured and that there are no conflicts?
  • Have you attempted to rebuild the array manually before, and if so, what steps did you take and what were the results?

I have also attached an article that might help resolve this issue.

Degraded RAID Volume Won't Rebuild After Failed Hard Drive Is Replaced (intel.com)

How to Rebuild a degraded RAID (intel.com)

Randy T. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
RandyT_Intel

Hello rmicona,

I wanted to check if you had the chance to review the questions I posted. Please let me know at your earliest convenience so that we can determine the best course of action to resolve this matter.  

Randy T

0 Kudos
RandyT_Intel

Hello rmicona,

Since I haven't received a response from you, I will be closing this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Randy T

0 Kudos