Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

RAID 5 replace disk different make model

Lavigne958
Beginner
Hello, I have a chipset Intel Z270 with integrated raid controller.

If I setup a raid 5 array, in the future could I replace a faulty disk with a disk of the same size (or bigger) using a different make or different model?

After searching online I read that it was not possible some years ago, is it now possible please?
Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Lavigne958, Thank you for clarifying that information.

In that case, yes, you will be able to "replace a faulty disk with a disk of the same size (or bigger) using a different make or different model" as long as it is a HDD for a HDD or an SSD for SSD and if the computer is fully compatible with it, you can not create a RAID using an HDD with an SSD combined. Keep in mind that the max size of the RAID will be determined by the HDD/SSD that has the minor size, meaning that the space left of the HDD/SSD that is bigger will not be used.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Lavigne958, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm some aspects of your computer, please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, please check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Lavigne958
Beginner

Here is the result of the scan.
So do you think I will be able to replace a faulty disk with a different one in the future ? (at least same size or bigger)

Thank you for your help.

PS: I did not use your link because I don't have a windows setup, so I found the linux version available and used it. I suppose it provides the same result right ?

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Lavigne958, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Lavigne958
Beginner
Hello, yes I saw it, but i was asking this question because I am about to build this computer with or without raid 5 array, so the computer is not build yet, and I don't have any windows at home, only Linux. So trying to make some room on a hard drive in order to install windows to run the tool.
0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Lavigne958, Thank you for clarifying that information.

In that case, yes, you will be able to "replace a faulty disk with a disk of the same size (or bigger) using a different make or different model" as long as it is a HDD for a HDD or an SSD for SSD and if the computer is fully compatible with it, you can not create a RAID using an HDD with an SSD combined. Keep in mind that the max size of the RAID will be determined by the HDD/SSD that has the minor size, meaning that the space left of the HDD/SSD that is bigger will not be used.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Lavigne958
Beginner
Thank you very much for that detailed answered.
0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Lavigne958, You are very welcome, thank you very much for your response.

Perfect, excellent it is great to hear the information provided previously was useful and helpful for you on this topic.

Any other inquires, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos