Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

RAID notifications - Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management

We have set up a RAID10 on the ASUS Z490-A mainboard holding an Intel 10900K CPU, running Windows Server 2019.
Several of these systems will be deployed at a customer.

The old IntelRST app, that had an e-mail function, can't be installed ("This Platform is not supported").
and this new Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management does not have any 'remote' notification options.

I've tried looking for events in the EventLOG after pulling a drive out, but there are no error events.

What is best practice; what is the recommended way to make these servers remotely notify when RAID errors occur?
The developers can't just expect everybody to log onto these servers manually every week, do they?

6 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

This doesn't sound like a developer problem; it sounds more like some inexperienced marketing guy, who doesn't understand his customers or his market, saying "nobody values this feature; we don't need to port it to the new tool". Sadly, this isn't the first time that I have seen the decision-making at Intel come up short like this. The people who thoroughly understood these markets have all retired.

...S

Highlighted

Hello PeterV, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

Intel® indeed has removed the e-mail notification from the Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management, and Intel® is aware of the importance of this missing feature. I will highly recommend you checking with your system manufacturer (OEM) or any system administrator for a similar tool that you can use for remote notification.  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for your reply. We are the 'system manufacturer' / system administrator in this case; I assembled the server.
I could contact ASUS (the mainboard manufacturer) but they'd likely refer me to Intel since the RAID is Intel's.

Does anyone have a solution / workaround?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello PeterV,  

Thank you for your reply. 

I would like to mention that Intel® is working on this, we have reported this feedback internally, currently, we are evaluating all options to introduce this feature in the new User Interface and will definitely consider it for future releases. 

You can surely double-check with ASUS* for a similar feature as well.  

On the other hand, we hope that maybe another community peer can share a possible workaround for this.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello,

I am in the same situation as PeterV: I manage many Intel RAID volumes and Intel RST framework is the only solution to plan verifications and to be informed when errors occurs (by email notification).

As Intel no longer seems to want to maintain its technologies, the only solution I currently have is to keep the drivers in version V17.8.0.1065: the last one which includes the functions essential for managing RAID arrays.
And now, when I advise my clients on the purchase of new servers, I will not buy hardware based on Intel chips: I will go directly to the competitors !

I was very satisfied with the Intel software suite for many years then, but this policy change is not acceptable.

Regards.

Highlighted
Beginner

Hi

I was in the same situation when I found this post , I have spent  way to much time on my workday to find a soulution for this Got an Dell optiplex 7080 and ofcourse this new crap app was installed when I reimaged the client and downloaded the  driver pack.

Like all others here  I really  need the the email function to alarm when the RAID set are degraded.

So big thanks to merher.

0 Kudos