Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID

RST Panel missing

Paul8
Novice

After a hardware change which included a boot drive change I lost the RST panel (a RAID 1 setup). The RAID controller is functioning properly. In the RST folder on my "C" drive are 5 .exe files:

IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe, IAStorHelp.exe, IAStoricon.exe, IAStorUI.exe, ITMService.exe

At first glance none of these would seem to launch a panel application. Does anyone have a suggestion about how I might get the panel up and running again?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Paul8
Novice

As a follow-up, I checked the MS app store and I don't believe I meet the system requirements. Control Panel tells me that the RAID driver is 15.44.0.1015 and the app needs 16.7. My processor is an i7-3770 but I'm not sure what series chipset. Finally, the requirements appear to demand the Optane Memory which I don't believe I have.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What do you mean by 'panel'? Are you referring to the old Intel RST GUI? Or are you referring to the Modern UI app installed from the MS App Store?

...S

0 Kudos
Paul8
Novice

Based on when it was originally installed I would say "old Intel GUI". R u saying there is an app in the MS app store that would give me info about the RAID health?

0 Kudos
Paul8
Novice

As a follow-up, I checked the MS app store and I don't believe I meet the system requirements. Control Panel tells me that the RAID driver is 15.44.0.1015 and the app needs 16.7. My processor is an i7-3770 but I'm not sure what series chipset. Finally, the requirements appear to demand the Optane Memory which I don't believe I have.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yea, I would steer clear of that app and the later versions of Intel RST -- mostly because I believe you will lose your Intel SRT support.

...S

0 Kudos
Paul8
Novice

Thanks Scott. Is there no way I can retrieve that original panel? In my Programs (x86) folder I have a folder named Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology. On my old "C" (now "F", a Raid 1 data drive) there are several other Intel folders. If I knew what file launches the RST panel I can likely find it somewhere on my system.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Hhmmm, a shortcut to the GUI should have been created when you installed the Intel RST package. Look in the Start Menu for a shortcut titled "Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology". It might be in an Intel subfolder. If it isn't there, the path to the GUI's executable is "C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorUI.exe".

BTW, I am running Intel RST v14.8.16.1063 on my legacy test machine with Windows 10 Pro 20H2, Intel DZ87KLT-75K Desktop Board, Intel Core i7-4770K processor, mSATA SSD and RAID5 array with 3x2TB HDDs.

...S

0 Kudos
Paul8
Novice

I'm not sure who marked this question "solved", but it certainly wasn't.

Thanks for replying Scott. I had checked previously and Task Manager shows no processes or services related to Intel. However, Control Panel says the Raid Controller is working properly. When I start IAStorUI.exe (in the RST folder) it, not unsurprisingly, "says" it can't find the service. All this is because, when I upgraded to W10, I also moved the "C" drive from the Raid 1 drives to a new SSD, BUT, the only Intel items migrated were the program folders (including the IRST folder). Another confusion is that the Control Panel shows an "event" which shows the iaStorAVC service was started on Nov 30, 2020 (?). I may have come to the end of the road, but just in case you have a little more time to waste I've attached a file from the Event Viewer.

Thanks again, Paul

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, so you essentially don't have an Intel RST package installed; you simply have the remnants of one from the reuse of the drive(s). You need to freshly install an Intel RST package. I recommend the version that I used (14.8.16.1063; newer versions didn't work properly for me).

...S

0 Kudos
Paul8
Novice

Thanks Scott. I downloaded that package. Any "gotchas" I should look out for when installing?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I don't remember there being anything. I was installing onto clean Windows 10 install, however. I do remember the initialization of the array taking a long time (more than a day), but I blame this on me using old SATA II drives for this experiment.

...S

0 Kudos
Paul8
Novice

Thanks for all your time Scott. In the end I decided, since everything except the UI appears to be working, to leave it for the day that one of the drives packs it in. The last time one of the drives failed I was able to tell which one needed to be replaced from the UI. Next time I'll have to use hardware diagnostics.

Thanks again, Paul

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Did you get this version of RST to install? If so - and you have an existing array - then the RST icon should appear in the system tray (though it takes a minute or so after logging in for it to appear) and the GUI can be invoked either by double-clicking on this icon or on the Intel RST shortcut installed into the Windows Start Menu.

Remember too that, with this older version and its older implementation of the GUI, you will also have the ability to send alerts via email.

...S

0 Kudos
WhiteKnight
Beginner

Same issue. I recently installed Windows 10 20H2 on all my machines, downloaded the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver ... but only the drivers seem to be installed.

Neither do I find any corresponding entry in "C:\Program Files\" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\", resp., nor do I find any link in the start menu.

Trying to install an older version fails: I get an error message telling me that a newer version is already installed.

One of my machines currently performs a rebuild operation after a hard shut-down. I'd like to be informed of the progress and condition of my RAID system.

What should I do?

0 Kudos