Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID

RST Software Install

wwandel
Beginner

May be a dumb question but I have to ask. 

I bought an HP Pavilion with raid 1 set up.  I had to rest windows 11 and lost the software. 

I downloaded and installed the Windows server software instead of the windows client software.

Looked different than the client but functioned and said Raid 1 was still active and working. 

After closing the app, I can't even find it again.  Used to be in the system tray!!!

Is this going to be a problem?  Suggestions?   Thanks

0 Kudos
17 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello wwandel, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. In order to have a better understanding of the issue, please share with us the following information: 

1. Model of the laptop.
  2. Windows version and build. 
  3. RST version. 

Also, it is important for you to know that you need to download the RST driver from the OEM's website and the app from the Microsoft Store, however, since on Windows* Server this store is not available, you will need to check the status of the RAID using CTRL I. Please take into consideration that we do not have a console for Windows* Server. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
wwandel
Beginner

Well, after installing this software, the interface was different but it said RAID 1 was functioning normally.

That is the last I ever saw that menu or app.

Here is the info you requested:

- Windows 11 v 21H2 Build 22000.348

- HP Pavilion Desktop P590-p0xxx x64-basic PC Intel Core i5-8400 BIOS AMI F.46 8/3/2021

- RST installed 18.1.0.35 (there were 2 listed for download...server(this version installed) and client.

CTRL / I did not provide raid status.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello wwandel, 

Thank you for the information provided, we just wanted to confirm with you the OS version. Are you using Windows* Server or have you returned to Windows* 11?

Also, did you try using the RST driver provided by HP?

In case you have tried using the driver and the issue persists, download and install the Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

Click on "Next", save the report, and attach it to your response

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
wwandel
Beginner
Windows 11 client.  I never ran Server.  I just accidentally installed server RST.

Since RAID seems to be working, does that mean the driver is still there and not deleted during the windows 11 reset?

0 Kudos
wwandel
Beginner

as requested.  see attached

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello wwandel, 

Thank you for the information provided.

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello wwandel, 

In this case, you need to use Optane version 17.11 since this version supports Intel 300 chipset. You can find the download at the following link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19755/intel-rapid-storage-technology-driver-installation-software-with-intel-optane-memory-8th-and-9th-gen-platforms.html

It is important for you to know that installing this version or any other app version will not harm the RAID status, it will only update the app. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
wwandel
Beginner

Thanks.  This looked the area I downloaded the server version of the software.

There are 3 downloads on the page.  Which one should I use?

0 Kudos
wwandel
Beginner

Oh and what ever happened to the server software I installed?  It certainly can not find it.

0 Kudos
wwandel
Beginner

This is the server version I installed

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello wwandel, 

In this case please try installing the setup and run it, let me know if it works without issues. 

Regarding the server version, please provide me with the link to the page where you found that RST version. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
wwandel
Beginner

After you told me that the server version was wrong, I deleted that link.  It looked identical to what you sent me.

What are the other 2 zip files below the setup download?

Also is this going to give me real-time monitoring like the previous version did?

0 Kudos
wwandel
Beginner

I did the setup and rebooted.  There is no indication it was successful but no errors.  I have no idea how to launch the app to show the status of the RAID.  It used to show up in the system tray and give me a status and if there were any errors do a rebuild if necessary.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello wwandel, 

Remember that to be able to monitor the RAID status and create new arrays, you need to download the Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management application found on the Microsoft Store.

Let me know if you are able to download it and run it without any issues.

The other files contain some extra information, however, in this case, with the setup app, you will be able to install RST without any issues.  

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
wwandel
Beginner

That worked.  The version running previous to the reset ran in the system tray and give me notifications if the drives were correcting themselves etc.  Is this current app running in the background and will notify me of any errors etc?

Thanks again for all your help.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello wwandel, 

I am glad to hear that the recommendations work and now everything is working fine. 

Regarding your inquiry about the app, in this case, you will be able to monitor the status of the arrays you have configured, however, for version 17.11 there is no notification feature so you will need to open the app and check that everything is working properly. 

Hope this information is useful, if you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
wwandel
Beginner

Just fyi....I found a pic of the previous RST software that was installed.

It must have included real-time monitoring.

0 Kudos