Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID

RST driver update fails

mgroen
Beginner

I use Intel Driver & Support Assistant to keep up to date with drivers. It detects an update for Intel Rapid Storage Technology, version 16.8.3.1003 (see attached screenshot).

- Click Install

- Installation is started but get aborted "Onherstelbare fout bij installatie": meaning "Fatal error during installation".

- Log file is attached.

Running fully patched Windows 10 64bit.

How can this be fixed? So I can get the update installed?

Thanks,

Mathijs

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yes, you can.

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

We need more information about your system. Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows. Select *all* data categories and then have it generate a report. Next, have the tool Save the report to a text file (don't try to use the Submit capability; it doesn't work). Finally, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog (below the edit box for the body of your response post), upload and attach this text file to the response post.

...S

0 Kudos
mgroen
Beginner

@n_scott_pearson 

thanks for your reaction.

Attached is the output of the SSU, as you requested.

Hope to hear more soon!

Thanks,
Mathijs

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello mgroen,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I understand you are having issues with the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) driver.

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Have you tried to install the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) driver from MEDION?

2. Have you tried a manual installation of the driver?

3. Are you using the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) to create a RAID or not using it at all?

4. Have you experienced this issue with the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant before?

5. Do you have any issue with the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) tool?

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
mgroen
Beginner

Hi,

I wanted to give an update on this:

First, I created a restore point in Windows;

Then tried to manually uninstall the Intel driver software, using Windows Control panel. Uninstallation failed, more or less same error message.

Then, I used some WIndows management tool to uninstall software which cannot be uninstalled using Windows control panel. That removed the C:\Program Files\Intel\Rapid Storage Technology driver\ successfully

Then did a reboot.

Then manually downloaded the LATEST version, being 18.something. This installation worked just fine. After installation this driver appears to be renamed to "Intel Optane Memory and Storage management" software, and is now an App. (correct?)

Then, because I wanted to validate something, I manually downloaded the original version I had, version 16.0.2.1086 , but this failed because of an errorL "there is a newer version installed, cannot install an older version".

So, I ended with successfull installation of Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management tool, product version 18.1.1024.0, with driver version 18.36.1.1036

Now, The Intel Driver and Support Assistant program, displays 0 available updates, so all drivers are up-to-date now.

I guess this is all fine now, correct?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am seeing one NVMe SSD and one SATA HDD. Why do you have Intel RST installed at all? You are not making any use of its (RAID, Optane) capabilities and the underlying Intel Storage driver is providing you with no additional capabilities or performance gain. Why don't you uninstall it and reduce the complications to your configuration? To me, this is silly. I curse the system manufacturers who install this automatically for no good reason. I would like to think that they are doing this so that they don't have to maintain an additional OS configuration, but I think it more likely that the slimebags are doing this it to generate additional support revenue.

...S

0 Kudos
mgroen
Beginner

@n_scott_pearson wrote:

I am seeing one NVMe SSD and one SATA HDD. Why do you have Intel RST installed at all? You are not making any use of its (RAID, Optane) capabilities and the underlying Intel Storage driver is providing you with no additional capabilities or performance gain. Why don't you uninstall it and reduce the complications to your configuration? To me, this is silly. I curse the system manufacturers who install this automatically for no good reason. I would like to think that they are doing this so that they don't have to maintain an additional OS configuration, but I think it more likely that the slimebags are doing this it to generate additional support revenue.

...S

Hi,

well the RST drivers were indeed as you suggested pre-installed by MEDION, the supplier of this machine.

Does that also mean I can delete  the latest installed Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management tool, product version 18.1.1024.0, with driver version 18.36.1.1036 ?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yes, you can.

...S

0 Kudos
mgroen
Beginner

@n_scott_pearson wrote:

Yes, you can.

...S

I removed the app, no problems after that so far.

0 Kudos