Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

RST won't run after failed disk replacement

mrogerc
Beginner

Hello everyone.

I had a disk fail in my RAID 1 array.  I replaced the drive, rebooted, and while the system boots, RST fails to start.   So far I have:

Tried another spare drive

Made sure startup was automatic (delayed or not)

Tried manually starting the service in services.msc    It says running then changes to stopped after a few seconds.

Check the BIOS to make sure it recognized the new drive...it does

Disconnected the new drive, in which case RST launches and tells me that the drive is missing.

The Computer is an HP Evny Phoenix that had RST configured with Raid 1 from the factory.

Any help greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

mrogerc, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

For us to be able to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, please check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Additionally, attach the RAID report so we can check the specifications of the RADi 1 configuration:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
mrogerc
Beginner

Thanks for the reply!

I ran the SSU report, and have it saved to a file.  Unfortunately, the website it directs me to upload it to:

https://servicerequestmgmt.intel.com/webticketui/

appears to be dead.   Is there an email address I can send it to or another way to submit?

Regarding the RAID report, unfortunately the instructions tell me to launch the RST user interface, which crashes every time I try.   Is there another way to get that report?

By the way, when I was poking around, I started the IA StatorService.  When I tried to launch RST (I think) this is what appeared in the command line window, if it helps:

The IAStorService has started. Press return to stop the service.
Started event manager

*** EXCEPTION ***
Member name: PSI.ChangesDataTable LoadSavedSystemStateFromXml()
Message: The type initializer for 'PSI.PsiSystemDataModel' threw an exception.
Source: PSI
Stack: at PSI.PsiSystemDataModel.LoadSavedSystemStateFromXml()
at IAStorUtil.SystemDataModelListener.LoadSavedSystemState()
at IAStorDataMgr.EventRelay.<Start>b__0(Object o)
at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

*** EXCEPTION ***

Again, thank you! 

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

mrogerc, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information.

Sure, no problem I will send you an email so you can reply back to it with the SSU report. Just to let you know, you should be able to post it on the thread, when you select "reply" you will see an option below the response box that says "Drag and Drop" or "Browse" for you to look for the file in your computer and attach it there. 

Still, I will send you the email, please verify your inbox.

In reference to the RAID report, that will be the only way to get, but not to worry, once we get the SSU we will start with our research on this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

mrogerc, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

Just to let you know, we always recommend to install the Intel® RST version provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that version was customized by them to work with your specific platform.

According to the specifications provided by HP, your computer is working with Intel® X79 Express Chipset:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04006921

The Intel® X79 Express Chipset is from 2011 and currently discontinued as you can see in the link below:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/64015/intel-x79-express-chipset.html

So, I checked HP's web site to verify which is the Intel® RST version that they recommend and actually there are no drivers available anymore for your computer, and additionally, according to HP the laptop was tested and validated to work with Windows* 8, you can always install Windows* 10 but it might cause conflicts since it is not fully compatible with your platform.

So, just to confirm, which is the Intel® RST version currently installed in the computer?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
mrogerc
Beginner

Thanks Albert.

I looked at ReadmeIRST.txt and saw a method to look up the driver version. It was the Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller. From 8/28/2018. Driver Version 12.8.2.1000.

In addition, I was able to get the help pages to launch. The "About" section showed "Intel Rapid Storage Technology 14.5.0.1081"

Does that help?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks again!

Mike

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

mrogerc, You are very welcome, thank you very much for sharing those details.

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello mrogerc, I just received an update on this matter.

After reviewing the case, we determine that it seems that all these problems are part of the same compatibility issue with the usage of the Operating System.

By any chance, do you have the option to recreate the array from scratch? Please back up any important information you might have on your system before trying this troubleshooting step.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
mrogerc
Beginner

Thank you for keeping at this.

Is there way way to rebuild the array if RST won't start without crashing?

Happy to try!

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

mrogerc, You are very welcome, thank you very much for your response.

In reference to your question, yes there is a way to create the RAID without using the Intel® RST application, that will be by accessing the Option ROM, normally the shortcut is to press and hold Ctrl and tab the letter "i" key several times when the computer is starting up and you should be able to see it. 

If it does not work, it means that probably the computer uses a different shortcut which in that case the next thing to do will be to get in contact with HP directly for them to let you know what would be the shortcut for their system:

https://support.hp.com/us-en

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos