Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2054 Discussions

RSTe Raid 1 / exchange all HD's

RGott2
Beginner

Hi,

I have a PC type: Alienware Aurora R4

I changed from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and updated RSTe software to Version 4.3.0.1542

RSTe says, I have an "Intel C600+/C220+ series chipset SATA RAID Controller"

RSTe is configured as Raid-1 Array with 2x 932 GB and an additional HD with 1863 GB.

It seems that 1 HD is on the way to fail - often makes noise and also speed is set to 3GB instead of 6GB (the second is at 6GB)

Now I want to exchange both HD's of Raid-1 Array to newer ones - and want to ask you for the best procedure to do this.

Best regards and thank you in advance,

Rainer

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello RAGO,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

I will be more than glad to help you with this today, before making any changes in your system I strongly recommend doing a back up of your system to avoid any lose of data.

At the following link you can follow the steps to move a RAID 1 volume to Larger Hard Drives or the same size.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/technologies/intel-rapid-storage-technology-intel-rst/000005837.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/technologies/intel-rapid-storage-technology-intel-rst/000005837.html

Please let me know if you can get it done, just follow the steps as it shows on the link I posted.

Best regards,

Ivan.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello RAGO,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

I will be more than glad to help you with this today, before making any changes in your system I strongly recommend doing a back up of your system to avoid any lose of data.

At the following link you can follow the steps to move a RAID 1 volume to Larger Hard Drives or the same size.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/technologies/intel-rapid-storage-technology-intel-rst/000005837.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/technologies/intel-rapid-storage-technology-intel-rst/000005837.html

Please let me know if you can get it done, just follow the steps as it shows on the link I posted.

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
RGott2
Beginner

Hello Ivan,

thank you very much for the fast answer.

I will get the new Hard Drives next week and come back to you with my "Field Report".

Have a nice Weekend,

Rainer

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You are more than welcome!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
RGott2
Beginner

Hi Ivan,

this week I got the 2 new Hard Disks and I replaced the old one's as described in the manual you provided me earlier.

(It was easier, because I replaced with the same size).

But now I have a question to the following configuration I see in the RSTe Application (regarding the speed):

- Controller 0, Slot 0 : independent HD 2TB (Speed: 6 GB/sec)

- Controller 0, Slot 1 : Raid-Array 1 HD1 1TB (Speed: 6 GB/sec)

- Controller 0, Slot 2 or 3 : Raid Array 1 HD2 1TB (Speed: 3 GB/sec)

I changed HD2 to get 6 GB/sec speed at Slot 2 or 3, but no success.

I added the old HD (replaced at Slot 1) at Slot 2 or 3 to see if i get 6 GB/sec, but always 3 GB/sec.

Now my question(s):

1. The Controller is only possible to have 6 GB/sec at Slot 0 and 1 - correct ? (or is the controller defect?)

2. Should I connect Raid-Array Hard Disks at Slot 0 and 1 to have maximum speed for the Raid-Array ? (the 2TB HD is only for backup, images, and so on).

3. If the answer for question 2 is "yes", how to do ? (remove 2 TB HD and reconnect / rebuild Raid-Array first and then reconnect 2 TB HD ?)

Best regards,

Rainer

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello RAGO,

In this case, you will need to connect both HDDS on the SATA port you had the other two, if you get 3GBs this is most likely the maximum speed this SATA port can support, if there is another way to get the 6GBs it is perhaps in the BIOS but I cannot confirm it because this is an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) system.

At this point I strongly recommend contacting you motherboard or system manufacturer to ask what will be the speed on those SATA ports and if there is a way to configure it in the BIOS, perhaps a BIOS update can help.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
RGott2
Beginner

Hello Ivan,

thank you very much for your advices.

After the exchange of the HD's the PC is now running fine and stable - i am satisfied.

Best regards and have a good time,

Rainer

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm glad that this issue has been resolved and I appreciate you have taken your time to let me know that it was solved.

I hope you can have a good experience with your system from now on.

Best wishes,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos