Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2054 Discussions

Raid-0 rebuilded into raid-1

tipompier
Beginner

Hi,

I had two Raid-0 disks set by built-in Raid controller on a motherboard (Asus P5W-DH with Asus EZ Backup = Intel matrix storage).  I've changed my motherboard and forgot that my disk was in raid-0.  With the other motherboard, Intel matrix storage tell me "rebuild" state in the bios, but in raid-1!  In windows I have lunch the intel rapid strorage software.  The rebuild have progressed to 100%, after I was invited to do a initialization and a verify, what I did...  So now my disks are in RAW mode.

So I want to know what the rebuild and a initialization process did to my disks ?  Is my disks have the same data now or I have a little hope that only the library was faulty ?

I used some recovery software, I can see my wanted files, but everytime the files are corrupted.

Thx for your help!  Sorry for my poor english!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello tipompier

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We have sent you a private message to gather and update contact information.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello tipompier,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Based on the description provided, you would need to delete the whole volume and rebuild the RAID, we would recommend the creation of the RAID from scratch pressing Ctrl + I upon boot.

For that, please follow the article with all the steps to create a RAID volume.

Set Up a System with Intel® Matrix RAID Technology

In case that Ctrl + I is not pulling the console for the management of the RAID volume, you might need to contact the motherboard manufacturer for indications, if that is the case most likely the console will be within the BIOS.

Unfortunately, as you know, RAID 0 provides no-fail tolerance or redundancy as the information is “Stripped” between the disks that form the RAID volume and that could be the reason why the recovery tool is showing all the files as corrupted.

Please give it a try and if you have an update please let us know.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
tipompier
Beginner

Hi,  Thx for the answer,

So to be sure, you sugest me to delete my Raid-1 volume in Intel matrix raid tech. and create a new raid-0 volume ?  Is this will format my disks ?

Before doing this, is any way to check if my disk have the sames blocks ? In other words, is my disks are clones or not ?  If they are clones, it will be the end

Thx!

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

When the RAID0 array was rebuilt as a RAID1, the stripes from the first drives will have been copied over top of the stripes on the second drive. If I understand correctly, this will have effectively wiped out every other stripe. I would think that the logical drive would have been a corrupt mess (I was actually amazed at how much you could see; I would have expected the file system's structure to not be intact either). This means that the contents are going to be a total loss, unfortunately.

If you remove the RAID1 array and create a new RAID0 array over it, it isn't going to affect much of the contents of the drive, but when you get into Windows, it will want to initialize the (logical) drive and then have you create partition(s) on it. If the contents weren't a goner already, then this will likely be the last straw.

...S

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello tipompier

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if the previous information was helpful to clarify your concerns or if you have additional inquiries. Please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello tipompier

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread. If you need further assistance please post a new question.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos