Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Raid 1 (mirror) Rebuilds Every Power Up

TCrit
Beginner

I currently have a RST RAID 1 mirror (2x4TB) and on every power up the status reports as 'functioning normally' but it rebuilds the array. The system isn't complaining about either of the disks being bad so I really don't know what to do. 24+ hours to rebuild on every Windows 10 reboot is a lot of ware and tear. Any suggestions?

I did upgrade the system about a month ago from two to four TB drives. Since I usually leave the computer turned on I really don't know if this issues started then.

Thanks,

-TAC

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello TAC57

Thank you for joining the community.

Could you get access to the RAID BIOS to review the status of the raid, to do so use the key combination Ctrl+I if possible please provide a screenshot?

Since you have mentioned that you have made a system upgrade, have you let the system complete the rebuild? This process could take several hours or days depending on the quantity of data or storage, if you have not you can start with that.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
TCrit
Beginner

Yes, when I upgraded my 2 hard disks from 2TB each to 4TB I followed your online instructions. It did take hours and hours to rebuild.

I just did a 'Restart' of my computer and I did not get the BIOS screen. When it powered up it did NOT restart rebuilding. It DID NOT say it was rebuilding.

I then completely powered down the computer and hit ctrl+I and took the following picture. My bootable Drive C: is a single SSD and this mirrored drive D is a data drive. I don't know why it says it's bootable. When the computer booted up this time RST said 'Rebuilding 0% complete'.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TAC57

Thank you for your response.

Since you mentioned that you have a RAID 1 you can try the following steps:

1. From the RAID BIOS (Ctrl+I)> delete the RAID volume> use delete key to delete RIAD> use the "Y" key to confirm the action> save and exit
  2. Once you access the operating systems use a hard drive utility from western digital to check that the hard drive does not have any malfunctions, please refer to the manufacturer for assistance on the utility.

https://www.hgst.com/support/hard-drive-support https://www.hgst.com/support/hard-drive-support

Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel®. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® for the merchants or services offered there.

3. Once confirmed there are no malfunctions use the Intel® RST software to create the software to create the RAID 1 on your system, please refer to the step on page 60 to section 8

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/chipsets/imsm/sb/irst_user_guide.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/chipsets/imsm/sb/irst_user_guide.pdf

Also, since you have mentioned that you have your system turned on, please bear in mind the if the system goes to hibernate, sleep mode or shutdown this will pause the rebuilt process

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TAC57

I was checking your case and would like to know if the step provided previously where helpful to your situation.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
TCrit
Beginner

Leonard,

You say to look on page 60 of the pdf, but there are only 36 pages in the document.

-TAC

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TAC57

Thank you for your response my apologies for the mistake, the steps are on page 30 section 8.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
TCrit
Beginner
That last few times I restated my computer RST did not rebuild my mirrored drives.

I still ran the HGST WinDFT utility on both drives with no errors. Although from some reason one of the drives took much longer to run the extended test. Instead of deleting the RAID, I put the drives in another computer and ran the WinDFT utility and then put the drives back in original computer. The computer powered up just fine without rebuilding the mirror.

I guess I'll just keep an eye on things and hope it continues to operate correctly.

I did update the Intel RST software to 15.0.0.1039 which I got from the Gigabyte MoBo website.

Thanks,

-Tom Crites

0 Kudos