Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Raid Verify and Repair stuck with 18.0.1.1138

cccleaner
Beginner

I recently updated my Intel RST with latest Software Version 18.0.1.1138

After software refrehs I usually start a Verfy and Repair session in Storage Management App . Now, this session is not working anymore. The process stuck again and again. Sometimes after 16% sometimes after 92%. (when I cnacel the process in Management Software the same crashes.

Configuration is a RAID 5 with 4x WD Red 6TB NAS Disks on ASUS X299 Prime.

I see no hints in the Event viewer. What is the problem here?

I downgraded to 16.8.3.1003 to see if the verify process works again.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AndrewG_Intel

Hello cccleaner

Thank you very much for your response and especially for your feedback, and we do understand your point. Your feedback is really appreciated it and we will make sure to share your comments with the proper team.

Regarding your concerns, the recommendation to use the drivers provided by the computer/motherboard manufacturer (OEM) is noted on the download links available at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ but we will share your feedback about an alert or pop-up about compatibility.

Intel® RST has not been usually part of the selection for Windows® Updates since it is not typical to be updating the driver very often and widely. And since there might be customizations to take into consideration when deciding to update Intel® RST drivers, hence the recommendation is to use the drivers directly from the computer manufacturer.

Finally, Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) gives you a subset of the (generic) drivers and software available on Download Center.

While Intel® DSA can detect and offer upgrades for many of the drivers and software that are available on Download Center, it may not detect if the driver being offered "will be replacing/overwriting" a customized (OEM) driver. Also, the primary purpose of the tool is to notify about new updates (based on number version) but you may not need to update your drivers if:

• Your system is working correctly.
  • You already have specific drivers for your device, and the latest driver is generic.

Users can use our generic drivers but the first option/recommendation is to use the driver provided by the computer/motherboard manufacturer (OEM).

If you have additional inquiries or feedback, please feel free to post back in the thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @cccleaner

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide the following information?

1- Was this working fine with a previous driver/software version? (for instance: 16.8.3.1003?). Please provide details.

2- If this worked fine before, is the only recent change related to the issue the update to version 18.0.1.1138?

3- Could you please share some pictures/screenshots to illustrate the behavior/errors?

4- Please provide a System Report for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology

5- Please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system:

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
cccleaner
Beginner

Hello Andrew, thanks for your reaction and your questions.

Please see answers below:

1- Was this working fine with a previous driver/software version? (for instance: 16.8.3.1003?). Please provide details.

>> Yes my test was successful. I deinstalled the GUI and the driver and installed again the GUI and the driver 16.8.3.1003 and the Verify run through.

2- If this worked fine before, is the only recent change related to the issue the update to version 18.0.1.1138?

>> yes it seems like! after the success mentioned above, i again installed the youngest driver 18.0.1.1138 I and run a verify test again. This test I just cancelled again right 5 minutes before I write this answer,  stuck at 32%.  the verify should have been running the whole night, but it again its stuck. So it seems with the other driver it works.

3- Could you please share some pictures/screenshots to illustrate the behavior/errors?

>> unfortunately you would see not much more than a spinning verify process in the GUI stuck at 32 %... I have no other errors. I can see also from the HDD LED which is not permanently blinking, that the process is not running anymore.

4- Please provide a System Report for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology

>> Please help me to find the help button in Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management GUI? I do not find the system report icon. 

5- Please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system:

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

>> Attached

Hope this helps.

Thank you

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @cccleaner

Thank you very much for your response. After checking this further we would like to explain the following facts: (by the way, with these findings there is no need at this point for the System Report for Intel® RST).

Intel® RST Version: 18.0.1.1138 is only supported by Intel® 400 Series Chipset Family.

This version of Intel® RST is designed to provide full functionality for the Storage Controllers that are part of that Chipset Family. For more details, please kindly review the Readme (Readme_enduser_18.0.txt) under "Download Documentation" from the Download link:

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver Installation Software with Intel® Optane™ Memory Version: 18.0.1.1138

The motherboard ASUS* PRIME X299-A* comes with an Intel® X299 Chipset which is not supported on Intel® RST version 18.x.

Having said that, our recommendation is to stay with Intel® RST version 16.x

Please let us know if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello cccleaner

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
cccleaner
Beginner
Hi Albert Appologize the late reply! Yes your hint works. I have now the latest RST Drivers from ASUS Installed plus the new GUI From intel: That is for ASUS X299 Prime Motherboard: Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management: 18.0.1017.0 Driver Version: 17.7.0.1006 I will again run a verify and repair session later on to completely conclude on the success. Regarding the compatibiliy just let me mention here, it makes things complicated with intel drivers, if out of a sudden some chipsets are not supported anymore. It is not very end user friendly and unfortunately not obvious. I always took the latest drivers from Intel during an update session of drivers I perform regularly on my Operating Systems, also ASUS suggests to always take the original drivers from Intel since they obviously do not change the hardware in a proprietary way. Intel however should now include an alert mechanism that the latest driver is not compatible with X299 anymore. I got no hint or alert during installation, which makes me believe all is in order as usual. And as a final ammendment: the driver update process from intel is from my point of view anyhow very intransparent: - Do I need to update the drivers manually? If yes from Intel or from ASUS? - Why are they not delivered by Windows Update regularly? - Can I use the Intel Driver Update Assistant with a thirdparty Motherboard Manufacturer like ASUS, if they do not change the hardware in a proprietary way? I hope intel driver updates will be more streamlined in future, I think its worth it for a chipset monopolist like intel. Anyhow thank you for your quick support and a wish you a merry christmas.
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello cccleaner

Thank you very much for your response and especially for your feedback, and we do understand your point. Your feedback is really appreciated it and we will make sure to share your comments with the proper team.

Regarding your concerns, the recommendation to use the drivers provided by the computer/motherboard manufacturer (OEM) is noted on the download links available at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ but we will share your feedback about an alert or pop-up about compatibility.

Intel® RST has not been usually part of the selection for Windows® Updates since it is not typical to be updating the driver very often and widely. And since there might be customizations to take into consideration when deciding to update Intel® RST drivers, hence the recommendation is to use the drivers directly from the computer manufacturer.

Finally, Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) gives you a subset of the (generic) drivers and software available on Download Center.

While Intel® DSA can detect and offer upgrades for many of the drivers and software that are available on Download Center, it may not detect if the driver being offered "will be replacing/overwriting" a customized (OEM) driver. Also, the primary purpose of the tool is to notify about new updates (based on number version) but you may not need to update your drivers if:

• Your system is working correctly.
  • You already have specific drivers for your device, and the latest driver is generic.

Users can use our generic drivers but the first option/recommendation is to use the driver provided by the computer/motherboard manufacturer (OEM).

If you have additional inquiries or feedback, please feel free to post back in the thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
cccleaner
Beginner

Hi Andrew

Thank you. SInce I was already with BIOS issues in contact with ASUS Support, they confirmed to me that I can always use the generic drivers from Intel for Desktop Mainboards obviously. 

Which is in fact good to me, so I do not have to deal to much with proprietary Hardware  and corresponding drivers. This really facilitates the Driver Update Process tremendously.

On the other hand, I believe the driver update features provided by ASUS Management Software are not the best ones. (I do not why but when i use the ASUS EZ Update Feature it never shows me updates for my motherboard. In fact I think the update features of all ASUS Management Software like ASUS AI or ASUS GTX Tweak Utlity are at least for my even worse working than the Intel Update Asisstant. I dont know why this is so, but I made even with that Features no good experience. ASUS is a super Hardware Manufacturer but the Software Part is somewhat "Lazy".

This is why I would really  like to get all streamlined ASUS <> INTEL Driver Updates regularly by WIndows Update itself, which then will hopefully provide me with the right updates in a stable way for Intel hardware,

Why I use driver updates so often? Well I regularily reinstall my Windows 10 Pro. Call me OldSchool but I still do not trust Microsoft to properly update the WIndows OS by sometimes replacing the full OS and reinsert my properties and configs. I feel that the performance is going down with every new full reupdate of windows. So I completely refresh the OS myself with a clean installation and then of course I search for the latest drivers to install, so I compare what driver version  is offering ASUS and see that Intel is usually much newer. This happens minimum one time every year if not after every six months.

So I would be a really happy customer of ASUS (Intel) products if I could be sure to always get the very freshest and working driver for my  System (via Windows updates)  which provides me with the outmost peformance and functional stability at all times.

Have a happy new year all!

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

LOL! You're even more paranoid that I am! I reinstall the O/S approx. once a year. That's enough. Yes, I will lose some performance because of the 6-month Windows 10 Upgrades, the monthly Patch Tuesday updates and all the misc. updates that arrive weekly via Windows Update.

...S

0 Kudos
cccleaner
Beginner
wipe out OS garbage and keep the drivers fresh is also psychologically very important to an IT Enthusiast.. It makes us feel good even tough there could be no real performance improvement visible xD On the other hand every support page out there trying to figure out system problems says: update your drivers first. Always..
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @cccleaner

Thank you very much for your response and for sharing your feedback. We will send this to the proper team so they may consider it for future releases or changes.

Also, since the thread has been marked as "Solved" we would like to know if you have additional inquiries or if we can proceed to close this inquiry?

Sincerely,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
cccleaner
Beginner
Hi Andrew you can close the thread. Thank you for your help Best Regards and a happy new year!
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @cccleaner

Thanks for the reply. We will proceed to close the thread now but if you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you and happy new year!

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos