Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2094 Discussions

Raid array reports crc errors after spin-down activation

Viachaslau-Kulakousk

Hi, I have very strange thing with INTEL rapid storage technology. In particular, I have raid 1(mirroring) array made with two Samsung SATA SSDs 850 Evo + 860 Evo. Recently I've upgraded my PC to Asus Z590-P + Core-I5 11600K(no overclocking) and start getting CRC errors and bad blocks reporting after Windows 10 spin-down feature activation. Even more my data got corrupted, thanks to backups I've recovered them but any way. Intel optane utility reports array fails. The things get fixed just after system reboot. All the disks in the array are good again and no bad blocks or CRC errors, smart is ok as well. I used to use Asus Z170-p + Core-I5 6500 for years without any issues with the all the same setup accept MB and CPU. I didn't re-install windows or do anything else just changes the MB+CPU.

I installed most recent drivers from Asus and Intel,  I've updated the drivers but all remains the same. Let me explain the scenario.

1. Power-up the PC.

2. Have hard drives spin-down feature activated(20 min in my case but I've tried 1 min it reproduces the same way)

3. Wait before drives are spin-down. I've just wait for 30 mins idling.

4. Wake the drives.

5. Start getting CRC errors on RAID array only. Data may be corrupted if try to access the array. All non-raid drives are fine, no issues at all.

I've workarounded the issue with disabling spinning-down but I have doubts how this glitches may reproduce with other scenario.

I believe this is a serious issue and It is surprising that there is no mentioning over the internet I've tried to search with no success.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Viachaslau-Kulakousk

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We understand you have opened an internal Web Support ticket with us and we will continue to help you through that channel now. We will therefore close this community case. Thank you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos