Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Unallocated partition after RAID 0

Giovanni2
Beginner

Hello to everyone.

I have two SSDs (both 512gb) on my DELL laptop.

I tried to set RAID 0 between them, using Intel optane memory and storage management.

Before this operation, I set the "raid on" option for the SSDs in the BIOS.

The result is that I have a new partition on Disk 0, but this is an unallocated partition (with 512gb storage capacity) and the OS partition (C), always with 512gb capacity.

The problem is that I can't merge them, neither using "Computer manager" (Windows 10), nor using external softwares, such as AOMEI partition assistant (as recommended by DELL).

Infact, if I try to right-click on the OS partition, I can't select the "expand volume" voice.

What can I do, to merge these partitions?

Thanks in advance,

Giovanni

0 Kudos
10 Replies
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Giovanni2.

Good day,

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support forums.

We have a dedicated community for this type of inquiries, I will move your thread there so it can be answered as soon as possible.

One of my colleagues will contact you back soon.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Giovanni2,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

· Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/25293/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html 

· Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

· To save your scan, click Next and click Save.  

2. Can you send pictures of the issue?

3. If possible, provide the version of the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST).

4. Were you able to set another RAID configuration with your laptop before?

5. Have you checked with DELL for instructions?

6. What is the model name of your laptop?

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
Giovanni2
Beginner

Dear Deivid,

First of all, thanks for trying to help me.

1. I'll attach the .txt file with Intel® SSU's scansion response;

2. I'll attach pictures of the issue, too (aomei is a software suggested by dell, in order to try to merge the unallocated partition with C);

3. I don't have Intel® RST installed on my laptop (I only have Intel® Optane™ Memory Storage and Management. Its version is shown in the pictures);

4. It's the first time I try to set a RAID configuration;

5. I followed the instructions on DELL's website (https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/it-it/000132392/procedure-di-configurazione-raid-on-a-dell-pc#:~:text=For%20RAID%200%2C%20select%20RAID,stripe%20size%20and%20press%20ENTER.);

6. It's a DELL Precision 7550, CPU i7-10850H

If you need more informations, just ask.

Thank you again,

Giovanni

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Giovanni2, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Giovanni2, 

Based on the investigation, this issue looks related to the SSD and/or the operating system, because the pictures show that the Raid 0 seems to be detected correctly and fully functional.

Are you able to recreate the array and perform a clean installation of the operating system? Do not forget to backup all your data before proceeding.

Regards,    

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
Giovanni2
Beginner

Dear Deivid,

I'll back up my data and, then, I'll try to "remove" the RAID 0 (it's the first time; thus, I'll search how to do this on internet!) and, after that, re-make the RAID 0 with intel optane.

At the end, I'll tell you how it's gone!

Thanks a lot again,

Giovanni

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Giovanni2, 

Thanks for the update, 

I am glad to hear that you will perform the steps advised. Also, bear in mind that if the steps do not work you may need to try with a different SSD or get in contact with Microsoft and/or with DELL for further instructions.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Giovanni2, 

Were you able to check the previous post? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Giovanni2
Beginner

Dear Deivid,

As you can see in the attached file (which is the one I showed you in the first response), there are 2 partitions between OS and the unallocated partition. Using Minitool Partition Wizard, I tried to switch them to "the end" (in the rightest position), in order to have the OS partition and the unallocated one, both next each other. By this way, I could expand the OS to the unallocated partition, directly in the Computer management.

So, now I have what I searched for: only one partition, as you can see in the second attached picture.

I want to thank you a lot for your advices (and tips) and for your constant support.

Best reguards,

Giovanni

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Giovanni2, 

I am glad to hear that you were able to fix the issue by using a 3rd party tool. If you experience any problems with our products do not hesitate to create a new thread in order to have proper support.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos