Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

SAS Drive No Longer Visible-Need Low Level Format

THall1
Beginner

I installed 4 8tb HGST drives and attached to a SAS9300-8I controller. I fired up the system and formatted the drives. When I rebooted I was asked if I wanted to combine the drives into a RAID volume. I said yes and was warned that the drivers would be converted to a ????. I said go ahead and built a RAID volume consisting of the four drives. Then my motherboard died and after replacing it the drives were no longer visible. I downloaded every tool, driver, aid I could find and they were not there. I am sure it was the result of RST converting the drives to some other type. I have had this problem with SATA drives and was able to do a low level format to correct the problem. The issue is that I have no way to access the drives to perform a low level format. Anyone know where I can get these drives low level formatted. I talked to some drive recovery folks and they had no idea what I was talking about and said they would be happy to charge me lots of money to see if they could recover my data, of which I already have a backup. I have a lot of money tied up in the drives and controller and they are now sitting on the shelf in my office.

Tom

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello ThDallas

Thank you for joining the community.

Could you provide us with the model of your motherboard, CPU, and hard drive?

At the time of the Raid built the hard drives were concerted to the SAS9300-8I controller or the motherboards SATA ports?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ThDallas

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos