Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2054 Discussions

SATA disk on controller 0 port 4 at risk (SMART event )

davidyam
Beginner

Hi all,

I've been having this issue for a few days now.
I think it started when I tried to copy/backup the files within my computer.
(Usually it takes 2-4 hrs but this time took multiple days?)

Capture.PNG

However, when I did the drive > Tools > Error Checking it came back totally fine.
Also tried defragmenting the drive (successfully), not sure if it matters or not.
Then I suppressed the SMART event and it came back again.

Capture2.PNG

Referencing this helpful article:
https://www.intel.sg/content/www/xa/en/support/articles/000031904/memory-and-storage.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

Is there something wrong? What can I do to further check/ verify the issue?
Computer still works, using it to type this message now.

Best Regards,
David Yam

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The Read Error Rate parameter is telling us that the processor has developed a bad (unreadable) spot and this bad spot is growing in size. When an unreadable/unwriteable sector is detected, the drive will assign a replacement from a pool of replacement sectors. The issue raised by the Current Pending Sector Count parameter is indicating that the replacement sectors pool is almost exhausted.

Overall, this is telling us that one (or more) platter surfaces within the drive has suffered a failure. This is nonrecoverable. You need to backup the data on the drive ASAP and then replace this drive.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The first thing you should do is verify that the S.M.A.R.T. event is not spurious. Easiest way to do this is to download and run the Crystal DiskInfo app. It will display S.M.A.R.T. attributes and status for all drives in the system.

...S

0 Kudos
davidyam
Beginner

Thanks Scott!

Tried the Crystal DiskInfo app as suggested, here's the output:

Capture3.PNG

I can't seem to find a fix for the "Read Error Rate" issue online though.

Is it fixable? If so, how might I do it?

Best Regards,
David Yam

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The Read Error Rate parameter is telling us that the processor has developed a bad (unreadable) spot and this bad spot is growing in size. When an unreadable/unwriteable sector is detected, the drive will assign a replacement from a pool of replacement sectors. The issue raised by the Current Pending Sector Count parameter is indicating that the replacement sectors pool is almost exhausted.

Overall, this is telling us that one (or more) platter surfaces within the drive has suffered a failure. This is nonrecoverable. You need to backup the data on the drive ASAP and then replace this drive.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
davidyam
Beginner

Oh man, that's a bummer. I'll replace it then.
Anyways, thank you so much for your help, Scott!

Best Regards,
David Yam

0 Kudos