Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

SSD replace HDD/ file transfer/ technical questions

Lafite1968
Beginner

SSD replace HDD/ file transfer/ technical questions

I have a few questions regarding SSD replacement/ files transfer…...

My sony VAIO has 2 physical hard drives and equipped with INTEL RAID technology, currently set as RAID 0 for the purpose of faster speed.

I would like to replace the 2 hard drives, as one of them is failing, computer often shuts down itself abruptly. S.T.A.R.T. test says status still ok but errors are critical; other hardware tests are all ok, Windows has found 8 errors on HDDs, CHKSDK and SFC scan fixed the Windows issues, but the 8 errors seems to me are HDD problem.

I would like to know how it will be the best way for me to replace two HDD (say # 1 and # 2) with Samsung two EVO SSD ( say # 3 and # 4)

Will it be using the software/ capable:

- from # 1 to # 3 ( remove the # 2 before transfer), then,

-from # 2 to # 4 ( remove the # 1 before transfer)

OR:

Plug both # 3 and # 4 at the same time and transfer altogether at the same time?

Will it also copy the HDD 8 errors from # 2 HDD, also if, the computer shuts down again during transfer, how do I fix the problem??

And, do i need to re-set up the RAID setting or the cloning will include that as well?

OR:

Should I remove two HDD (# 1 # 2) and put the new # 3 # 4 in, re-set up the INTEL RAID technology for the SSD, then use the SONY VAIO recovery DVDs to clean installation? Honestly this approach is what I am trying to avoid as it takes forever for Windows update and all softwares download & installations.

Will it be any identification of drive be an problem as HDD and SSD is different?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello msibanker,

We understand that you currently have a computer with two HDDs set up in a RAID 0 configuration, which you would like to migrate over to solid state drives. In order to better assist you, we have moved your question over to our /community/tech/rapid-storage-technology Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Support Community.

Do keep in mind that a lot of things will depend on the software you use for cloning, and it may be good to engage the software vendor as well.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
Lafite1968
Beginner

Carlos A. :

Thanks for yr reply !

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello msibanker,

First of all, I strongly recommend backing up all the information you need in case of failure, if that's not so, any information will be lost if RAID 0 fails.

At this point, when a RAID 0 volume fails or is disconnected from the ports, the data on the hard drive is no longer accessible. You are left with only one option - wipe the HDD's clean and establish a new RAID0 array. Of course, this also means you lose everything on the drives. So, you MUST make a reliable complete backup of the original RAID0 array in the old machine BEFORE trying the move.

We can make what you want with a RAID 1 or other type of RAID but RAID is different.

I'm sorry this is not what you were expecting to hear but this is the reality with RAID 0.

Best wishes,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
Lafite1968
Beginner

Hello Ivan U,

Thanks for yr reply,...

I understand the difference between RAID 0 and RAID 1,...I do have a external hard drive WD passport which i have copy of all my photos and documents, therefore data-"back-up" is not a concern even if it dies on me right now. ...I appreciate yr concern.

Now, back to technical questions,...how do I transfer/ clone ?

I really would like to avoid the clean installation ( re-set the array + clean installation of OS ) unless no other choice, as you can realize, = all windows update + all software download + installation= takes forever....

Can you share with me what to watch out for when cloning, and what major problems people encountered ?

Million thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

In this case, this support can be provided by your SSD manufacturer, sometimes they have software specifically for the SSDs model and you might be able to clone it with that software, if the SSDs are Intel® SSD please let me know the model and can connect you with the proper department for this. The software from Intel is the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19324/Intel-Data-Migration-Software Intel® Data Migration Software

Also, you can try third party migration software to accomplish this, you can check on the following link:

http://www.todo-backup.com/backup-resource/free-raid-array-clone-software.htm http://www.todo-backup.com/backup-resource/free-raid-array-clone-software.htm

NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
Lafite1968
Beginner

@Ivan U.

Thank you so very very much for yr help, I understood your company policy and truly appreciated you went extra-mile to help me here.

OK, I will try to use that link mentioned above, if it turns out something more, i will ask again.

0 Kudos