Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

SSD with RAID 1 HDD Configuration

Nordik
Beginner

I do own a Dell XPS8300 desktop PC. Originaly, the PC came with a RAID 1 configuration (RST). After an HDD failure, I plan to reinstall the OS and Applications on a SSD and add a new HDD to replace the defective RAID1 HDD. Since the PC will now boot on AHCI (PC can only boot on AHCI or RAID), can I still use a RAID 1 configuration for the 2 DATA HDD?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If you want to use a SSD as your Windows Boot/System device and have another pair of HDDs in a RAID1 array, you should leave the BIOS configured for RAID.

Install Windows onto the SSD as you normally would (it will be setup to use AHCI automatically) and then you can create the new RAID1 array across the two HDDs. Note that, if this SSD is a M.2 NVMe SSD, you should ensure that the BIOS is (also) configured to boot using UEFI.

...S

0 Kudos
Nordik
Beginner

Hi Scott!

Thank you for your response! Actually my BIOS only support AHCI or RAID (Dell XPS8300 Circa 2011). The SSD would be a Samsung EVO 860 Sata. I will try the proposed solution. Any recommandation on the RST version I should be using?

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Nordik, I just wanted to check if the problem with the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology application still persists and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Nordik, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, just reply back or post a new question.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos