Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2045 Discussions

The Volatile Volume Cache Settings portion in Intel Rapid Storage Technology is missing

ANguy24
Beginner

Lately I've been getting alerts about how I need to enable Windows Write Cache buffer flushing policy because without it, it could affect my storage. To get rid if the notification and fix the problem, it tells me to:

1. Click 'Performance', and then click 'Power & Performance Settings' in the left pane.

2. Under Volatile Volume Cache Settings, locate the volume that you want.

3. Click 'Enable' next to the Write-cache buffer flushing volume property.

However when I get to the second step, the Volatile Volume Cache Settings is no where to be found. I've already enabled Write-Cache Buffer Flushing in the device managers but the problem still persists. I've seen only one other person with this problem on the forum and wondering if it has affected any one else and if there's a fix for it.

Screenshot (29).png

0 Kudos
12 Replies
ANguy24
Beginner

The SSD I'm using is Intel SSD 600p Series 256GB

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
ANguy24, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. In this case, since you mentioned that you already enable the Write-Cache Buffer Flushing in the device manager and the problem persists, we will need to verify a few details about your platform, please provide the SSU report in order for us to verify that information: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility To attach the report, once you choose "reply" select the "clip" icon on the lower left corner. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
ANguy24
Beginner

Thanks for replying!

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
ANguy24, You are very welcome, thank you for sharing that information. Just to let you know, the manufacturer of the computer, in this case Acer, has the option to do customizations on your platform, they can enable or disable features and functions on the laptop and the notification that you are seeing might be related to that. I looked in Acer's web site for a validated version of the Intel® RST and the version available by them is 16.7.8.1024, please try to install it since that should be the proper revision for your system: https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/IRST/IRST_Intel_16.7.8.1024_W10x64_A.zip?acerid=636765678031430338&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=NITRO&Step3=NITRO%20AN515-53&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6 If after trying the step above the settings for Volatile Volume Cache are still missing then we can test Intel® RST version 17.2.0.1009: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28650/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005 Once you get the chance let us know the results, if the problem remains, please provide the system report for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
ANguy24
Beginner

Thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately the problem still persists. I've followed all steps mentioned above and the settings are still missing.

Here is the report though.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
ANguy24, Thank you very much for providing the report. We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

ANguy24, I just received an update in this matter.

The report indicates that you are using RST driver version 16.7.8.1024 with GUI version 17.2.0.1009.

Could you please tell us the procedure that you used to update the driver? Did you use SetupRST.exe to upgrade from 16.7.8 to 17.2.0.1009?

Did you somehow roll back the driver to 16.7?

The setting that you mentioned, “'Enable' next to the Write-cache buffer flushing volume property”, is only available with RAID configuration.

Do you have a RAID configuration? We just wanted to confirm that since the warning “At Risk” is from NVME SSD SMART Event.

There is a possibility that you are seeing this error because you used a mismatch version of driver (16.7) with GUI and middleware service (17.2).

Could you please try to reinstall the driver and make sure the drivers and GUI match?

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
ANguy24, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
ANguy24, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, just reply back or post a new question. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Annihilannic
Beginner

I have exactly the same question (no 'Power & Performance Settings' on the 'Performance' tab), although both my driver and RST control panel are version 17.6.0.1006.

I have one RAID1 volume configured.  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Annihilannic
Beginner

Here is my SSU output.  I see there is a newer 17.9.1.1009 driver so I'll try that and report back if there are any differences using that.

0 Kudos
Annihilannic
Beginner

The 17.9.1.1009 driver comes with a whole new settings GUI combining Intel Optane memory management into the same interface which has a clear enable/disable write-cache buffer flushing switch:

intelraidgui.png

0 Kudos