Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2054 Discussions

There is no email password setting in Preference E-mail notification

wshen6
Beginner

Hi

I am configuring the E-mail notification Preference in the RST configure, I cannot find the email password setting. How can it know to use the email address I filled to send email to?

Thanks

Recho Shen

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi,

If you are referring to Email SMTP authentication, this is not supported in Intel® Rapid Storage

See the following thread for further information: /thread/45376 https://communities.intel.com/thread/45376

Allan
0 Kudos
JTapp
Beginner

Allan or whomever can help,

To be clear, does the statement above imply:. SMTP Notifications ARE supported BUT it is SMTP AUTHENTICATION that is not supported in Intel® Rapid Storage (RST)..

Is that a correct statement? If so, what is the point in that?

I suppose that there are some VERY OLD SMTP servers that do not require (or are configurable to not require) a password, allowing anybody to relay through the SMTP server. This is 2020 and even SSL might still be used while TLS is usually REQUIRED of most SMTP servers. This is a security issue. It seems really kind of asinine for Intel to support SMTP but not support authentication/authorization that is typically required by all but the oldest (of dumbest) SMTP servers/daemons. So, I have TWO questions. I am thinking about buying a DELL PMC system to use for video editing. It has Intel RSTe. I would like to know:

1. Is authentication supported by Intel® for RSTe - the Enterprise version of Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (RST)? I ask because this may figure into my budget (and may affect what other software I must forego because of money) when configuring & purchasing my Dell PMC video editing system.
  2. If not, AND since it is also not supported in RST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology - non Enterprise): Can or does Intel® recommend an SMTP server, even if old, that:
  • can run locally on a workstation
    • imposes no security requirement on the local clients beyond local security. I.e.there is no need to authenticate with any kind of group or Domain security for SMTP
    • is inexpensive (since this is abnormal, is an additional expense, and will only be used to support Intel® Rapid Storage and firewalled completely except for a local requests)
    • and yet still supports security protocols since it will likely hand off to other servers, either within the users subnet or directly to the mail exchanger/SMTP server on the destination system or within the Internet.

3. If the answer is NO to both of the previous questions, how does Intel® suggest users/system admins proactively AND securely handle errors, at least, if not warning and

information output from Intel® Rapid Storage technology? Does anybody know?

4. Does anybody know hot to translate the link to the thread (posted by idata (Intel®)) to a current answer.  https://communities.intel.com/thread/45376 does not work.

I look forward to anybody's intelligible answer, not "Sure. You can send letters by postal service. Unfortunately, none of the envelopes Intel® gives you can be sealed. Intel® does give you postcards, though. Security? You will have to encrypt the postcard or letter's contents and then tape tape the envelopes closed yourself - or pay somebody to do that for you"

Thank you

0 Kudos
BenjaminU
Beginner

Hi JTapp,

I understand your frustration. I also find the lack of e-mail settings useless.

I think the main reason for Intel not to adopt the extra settings, has something to do how system engineers/administrators check for system errors. They do not rely on e-mail. They check logs or have a program or tool running doing it for them.

But not to worry. I found two options for guys like us...

1. Install a E-mailRelay tool. Just search for it online. You should be able to figure it out
2. Use the Gmail server to send the notification mails from and to your own Gmail address
    SMTP Host: aspmx3.googlemail.com
    Sender e-mailaddress: youremailaddress@gmail.com
    Recipient e-mailaddress: youremailaddres@gmail.com

One of those will do the trick.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

@BenjaminU,

I like your workaround. Good thinking. In fact, ironically, it is likely that, from the standpoint of Intel's RST team, they will consider this to be the right solution for this issue (certainly much better than them having to port the email implementation into the new tool and then maintain this capability over time).

Nope, uh-uh, no sarcasm in that statement. None at all. 

...S

0 Kudos
Paulizzo
Beginner

Hi Idata,

I am trying this workaround above and I need to give the program the port number.  Can you tell me what this would be please. I am attaching a screenshot.

Thanks

Paul Izzo

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

This thread is 6 years old.

Start a new thread for yourself, with full problem explanation.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
BenjaminU2
Beginner

Hi Paulizzo,

Just try Port 25. If this does not work, try 587. You cannot use Port 465 as it is a SSL port.

Good luck!

0 Kudos