Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID

Trying to recover drive

cobra
Beginner

My computer won't boot into Windows, does not recognize the Toshiba 1.8TB drive (first screenshot). 

The drive is not part of RAID but is it being managed by Rapid Storage in some way?

Took the drive out and put in a second computer.  Rapid Storage util recognizes drive and offers to Clear and Reset drive (second screenshot).  Exactly what does that do?

Also, that util says it is not a system disk, but it is.  What gives?

Is there any way to recover this drive completely or the data on it?  I've been recovering data myself for dozens of years, have not encountered this level of unresponsiveness.

Thanks much

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello cobra,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. I am sorry to hear that you are having drive recovery issues, I will be happy to help you.

I will start with an investigation to provide you with accurate information as soon as possible.

Regards,  

Andres P.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
cobra
Beginner

Thank you Andres, that is very kind of you.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello cobra,

We have been working on the investigation, now we need some information, please answer the following questions for a better understanding of the situation:

• What tool did you use to create the RAID?
  • Take screenshots or a video fo the RAID configuration

Regards,  

Andres P.

0 Kudos
cobra
Beginner

I did not set it up with a tool, it came installed that way on a Dell XPS system.  The only thing I can get now is the photo I attached earlier of the bootup.

If you need something out of the Dell BIOS screens I could get that.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You never took a backup?

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello cobra,

Thank you for your response, it has been very helpful.

I will continue with the investigation to provide you with the next steps as soon as possible.  

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello cobra,

I have been working on the investigation, and since the system settings were integrated by Dell, we recommend checking with them, we cannot modify their BIOS settings.

Since you have to contact Dell, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
cobra
Beginner

But can you answer my original question?

Rapid Storage util recognizes drive and offers to Clear and Reset drive (second screenshot). Exactly what does that do?

Does that totally wipe all data from the drive or does it only affect Rapid Storage functions? And if so, does that prepare it to be re-integrated into the computer startup?

I am asking a question about Intel's software and was really hoping you an answer what the documentation does not.

0 Kudos