Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID

Unexpected Error

ayush210197
Beginner

Hello Everyone,

My laptop is getting crashed frequently. Please find the error in the attached files and kindly suggest possible remedies for that.

Regards,

Ayush

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Download, run, and save the results of this utility as a text file:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then ATTACH the text file using the instructions under the reply window ( Drag and drop here or browse files to attach ).

0 Kudos
ayush210197
Beginner

Hello,

As per instructions find attached the text file.

Regards,

Ayush

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So you are not using RAID and you are not using an Optane module. You could uninstall Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) completely as you have little use for it. Dell has this bad habit of blindly installing RST regardless of whether or not it is actually required (their excuse is that they have multiple SKUs of a product and at least one utilizes RAID/Optane, but I don't buy that; it is still laziness as far as I am concerned).

Now, that said, the RST alert that you received is telling you that a notification was received (via S.M.A.R.T.) that indicates that one of your drives is predicting its own failure. The RST GUI can be used to determine which drive is generating the prediction. The fact that you saw a BSOD sometime after this may mean that the predicted failure is already manifesting.

Normally, I would be suggesting at this point that you should determine which drive is failing and attempt to copy everything important off of it before it fails completely and you potentially lose everything. Before doing so, however, I suggest that you check carefully to see if the notification was real (i.e. after doing power cycle and reboot, is the drive is still predicting its failure?). I have seen RST generate spurious alerts before (I run other S.M.A.R.T. reporting software that can tell me if a prediction is really manifesting).

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos