Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Unstable RAID 1 with RST 16 and 17 on Z390 Chipset using 2 x Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSDs

Chenke2
Beginner

I am currently using a AORUS I Z390 Pro WiFi motherboard and 2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB in RAID 1. I have replaced every single component of the system, and I have tried Windows 1804, 1809, 1903. I am currently using BIOS 7a. The RST firmware is 17.5.0.4136. I made sure to install Windows with the correct driver injected during installation. I also made sure to install the correct version of the RST software that runs within Windows. Originally I had the same problem on RST firmware 16.x.x.x but with a BIOS upgrade that replaced RST with 17.x.x.x

Currently the RAID appears to be stable for a day or two and then it loses a disk and attempts to rebuilt which causes bluescreens. The bluescreen is "a critical process has failed". I have been able to get a memory dump as the only drives are in RAID and not writable during a BSOD. I am not sure what else I can do but assume there is a firmware, or software problems that is unavoidable.

Within the event log I can see that critical system processes stop a volume from being ejected, which happens between 25-100 times before the machine either crashes, or a one of the disks falls out of the RAID.

Any assistance would be welcome.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello Chenke2,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

Please include an Rapid Storage Technology system report, you can generate this report by following the steps in the link below: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html

Also, when did this problem start? Have you always experienced this issue even when it was first setup? Please provide me with the model and part number of the drives. 

You can also try to install the latest version of Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology validated for your motherboard from their support site: 

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-sataraidahci

* Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel*. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel* for the merchants or services offered there. * 

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Chenke2
Beginner

David,

I have experienced this problem during setup, I have also experienced it last for 2 weeks and then begin to have issues. I have replaced each of the components at least twice with identical hardware. I have tried the drivers from Gigabyte's website direct. The same problem occurs on each of their BIOS (currently on f7a). It happens on multiple versions of Windows. Each time I match the drivers to the firmware version on RST.

System Report

System Information

OS name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

OS version: 10.0.18362 

System name: DESKTOP-AA0IEVF

System manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System model: Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI

Processor: GenuineIntel Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 13 3 GHz

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc., F7a

PCH: 0xA305

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise Information

Kit installed: 17.7.0.1006

User interface version: 17.7.0.1006

Language: English (United States)

RAID option ROM version: 17.5.0.4136

Driver version: 17.7.0.1006

ISDI version: 17.7.0.1006

Storage System Information

RAID Configuration

Array Name: SATA_Array_0000

Size: 953,879 MB

Available space: 5 MB

Number of volumes: 1

Volume member: Volume1

Number of array disks: 2

Array disk: 0025_3857_91B1_2379.

Array disk: 0025_3857_91B1_2BA9.

Disk data cache: Enabled

Volume name: Volume1

Type: RAID 1

Size: 476,937 MB

System volume: Yes  

Data stripe size: 64 KB

Write-back cache: Read only

Initialized: Yes  

Parity errors: 0

Blocks with media errors: 0

Physical sector size: 512 Bytes

Logical sector size: 512 Bytes

Hardware Information

Controller name: Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller \\Scsi0

Type: SATA

Mode: RAID

Number of SATA ports: 2

Number of volumes: 1

Volume: Volume1

Number of spares: 0

Number of available disks: 0

Rebuild on Hot Plug: Disabled

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Model number: 0x2822

Product revision: 16

Direct attached disk: 0025_3857_91B1_2379.

Direct attached disk: 0025_3857_91B1_2BA9.

Disk on Controller 1, Port 0

Type: PCIe SSD

Location type: Internal

Usage: Array disk

Size: 466 GB

System disk: No

Port interface: NVMe

PCIe link speed: 4000 MB/s

PCIe link width: x4

Model: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB      

Serial number: 0025_3857_91B1_2379.

SCSI device ID: 1

Firmware: 2B2QEXM7

Disk on Controller 3, Port 0

Type: PCIe SSD

Location type: Internal

Usage: Array disk

Size: 466 GB

System disk: No

Port interface: NVMe

PCIe link speed: 4000 MB/s

PCIe link width: x4

Model: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB      

Serial number: 0025_3857_91B1_2BA9.

SCSI device ID: 3

Firmware: 2B2QEXM7

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello Chenke2,

Thank you for your response.

I am currently checking some details, in the meantime I would like to request an System Support Utility report, this report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it: 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Make sure to attach the created report to this thread.

David V

0 Kudos
Chenke2
Beginner

David,

Please see attached report. Note that for convince of testing I am current using Windows Remote Desktop to access the machine to capture logs. In the report it shows a Microsoft Remote Display. The crashes happen whether remoted into the machine or viewing on a monitor.

Chris

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello Chenke2,

I am currently looking into this so I can assist you further, please allow me some time and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

David V

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello Chenke2,

Thank you for patiently waiting.

I have been investigating about this and it seems like your motherboard's M.2 ports share the bandwidth with the SATA Port 1 and that could be causing the drive to be dropped from the rate since it would not be working with the bandwidth it needs to operate. Additionally, I was checking and it seems like even though the M.2 drive you have is supported it has not been tested in a RAID 1 configuration.

After checking some more documentation, I found that the PCI lanes in use could also cause this since both drives would be using around 8 physical lanes and this could affect the performance of other units connected via PCI. I would strongly suggest you contact the motherboard manufacturer to check if the configuration you have has been tested. 

You can find more information in the manual and the M.2 Support List in the link below:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver

* Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel*. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel* for the merchants or services offered there. *

David V

0 Kudos
Chenke2
Beginner

David,

I had previously disabled all of that SATA ports because they share bandwidth and I do not have any other PCI devices in the machines so there shouldn't be a bandwidth problem.

Where would I find this information "Additionally, I was checking and it seems like even though the M.2 drive you have is supported it has not been tested in a RAID 1 configuration."?

Also I am in contact with Gigabyte and their techs do not have any Samsung Drives to attempt to reproduce the problem.

Thank You for attempting to help,

Chris

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello Chenke2,

The disks use 4 PCI lanes each, a total of 8. Nevertheless, the manual does not say what is the total of PCI lanes available for both ports/devices. 

What it appears to be is a hardware limitation by design related to the PCI lanes available for the disks. This however, needs to be confirmed with the motherboard manufacturer. 

At this point, the only recommendation we can give you is to check if in the BIOS to see if possible, you have a way to limit the use of PCI lanes, work with your motherboard manufacturer to find a similar option. 

You can also test other disks that do not use 4 PCI lanes to see if the behavior is the same. 

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos