Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Upgraded (to V17.2) and application will no longer open? [Screenshot included]

NeilF
Beginner

I had an old (V13 something) of this program on my Windows 10 PC (motherboard: Asus z97-A) so upgraded it to 17.2 from here - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28650/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver

Since then, when opening the application (the tray icon with green ticks), it opens up, showing nothing, displays a working icon for a few seconds, and then closes.

What's up?

https://i.imgur.com/uhDM4Sx.png

NOTE: I simply used the app to keep an eye on my drives, which I assume it does? I don't use raid or anything. And the only reason I upgraded was the old version was showing my SSD, my standard Sata HDD, but not the Intel 660P I'd recently added.

EDIT: I've now tried version 16.8... Same issue!

0 Kudos
14 Replies
NeilF
Beginner

On the advice of someone else I installed version 14.8.16.1063 - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26759/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver

I was told newer version of this application/driver were not compatible with my motherboard/hardware etc.

On installing that version (14.8.16.1063), on clicking the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" icon in the tray, it now thankfully opens successfully (again)!

QUESTION: This program lists my Sata SSD, my Sata HDD and my Sata Bluray drive. It does NOT list my Intel 660p M.2 drive. Is this to be expected?

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello NeilF, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. Have you tried checking under disk management to see if the drive is recognized? Please attach a screenshot of the disk management. Also, please provide me with a System Report, this report can be generated by following the steps in the link below: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html Also, if possible, please include a screenshot of the Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology interface showing the available drives. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
NeilF
Beginner

Yes, the Intel 660P M.2 (2TB) drive is in disk manager! Indeed it's formatted and in used (as drive D) - https://i.imgur.com/DZuaKqD.png

The System Report is attached which does not include the 660P. Instead including only (as I previously mentioned) my Sata SSD, my Sata HDD and my Sata Bluray drive.

Should this application definitely be listing my 660P M.2 drive as well?

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello NeilF, Thank you for your response. Please check to make sure that your Intel ® drive has the latest updated firmware. This is an important step just to confirm if that could be affecting it. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
NeilF
Beginner

Can you please confirm that this version of your app (14.8.16.1063) should even list a 660p m.2 drive?

And if it should can you link to how I should determine if the firmware on my brand new 2tb 660p is up to date or not please.​

EDIT: If I go to the download page for the 660P there is not even a version of firmware to download? How can it be out of date if I can't download an alternative? - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/149409/Intel-SSD-660p-Series

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello NeilF, Thank you for your response. That is correct, the tool should be showing your Intel ® drive. Now, you have linked the download center showing the 660p series as the unit, over there you can find a firmware updater that you can use to update the firmware of your device. After doing so, reboot the system and check in the Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology to see if the drive is shown then. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
NeilF
Beginner

Intel SSD Toolbox (3.5.9) reports my 660p 2TB firmware (002C) is up to date...

Can we just come to the conclusion, that maybe this old version of the Intel Rapid Store application (I have to run because of my motherboard etc?) does not deal with M.2 drives?

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello NeilF, Thank you for your response. This does not seem to be a problem with the Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology not being able to recognize the drive but more of a compatibility problem between the motherboard and the Intel ® SSD. I would recommend you to check compatibility by posting in our Intel ® Communities for Intel ® SSD, please refer to the link below: https://forums.intel.com/s/topic/0TO0P00000018NaWAI/solid-state-drives Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
NeilF
Beginner

Let's consider the following...

• Windows 10 detects and used the 660p drive perfectly.
  • The recent version of Intel SDD Toolbox detects and shows the 660p drive perfectly.
  • An old version of Intel Rapid Storage Technology does not show the 660p drive.

And you're saying the problem is not simply with the Intel Rapid Storage Technology application? How is it that Windows 10 and Intel SDD Toolbox can show/use it perfectly if there's a "compatability issue"?

Again, surely the issue would most likely be this older version of Intel Rapid Storage Technology cannot access the 660p for some reason?

ps: Can you also confirm what the most current firmware version for the 660p is? Because I'm still questioning why you made me check its firmware version, when according to your own website a revision has never been released?

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello NeilF, Thank you for your response. There could be a compatibility issue parting from the point that the Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology is not recognizing the specific M.2 drive, keep in mind that, the version of Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology you have should recognize M.2 drives. Also, I mentioned the firmware because, if applicable, a firmware update could correct things including the recognition of the drive. I mentioned to check with our Intel ® SSD support team to make sure that there are no compatibility issues from the Intel ® SSD's side. Was the drive being detected prior the update in the interface of Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology? Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
NeilF
Beginner

I plugged the 660p in to the M.2 slot. Enabled the M.2 slot in the BIOS. Windows 10 then allowed me to add/format it (as my D drive).

However, my version (V13) of Intel Rapid Storage Technology (which I'd had for years) would not show it, hence me attempting to update it. So I tried V17 and V16 and found then if I tried to open the application I got a blank version of it (as per the screenshot above).

So I raised this question on this forum.

In the meantime someone mentioned to me elsewhere from their experience only V14 of Intel Rapid Storage Technology would work on my motherboard. I installed that and now I can run it again, and it will show my Crucial Sata SSD and Toshiba Sata HDD and Sata Bluray again. It obviously does not show my 660p.

In short, everything seems happy and can see the 660p (eg: Windows 10, Intel SDD Toolbox , Macrium Reflect etc), except for Intel Rapid Storage Technology.

If there was some "compatibility issue" I fail to see how everything else (eg: Windows 10, Intel SDD Toolbox , Macrium Reflect etc) happily work with the 660p?

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello NeilF, Thank you for your response. Since the drive is still not recognized it seems to be like the driver for the version 17 is still installed and what you downloaded again was the version 14's interface. This could be the reason why the drive is not being recognized, the driver version installed is not a compatible one for the hardware/O.S combination. What I can recommend you to do at this point is to re-install the operating system or perform a system recovery to a previous version where the Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology version 17.2 had not been installed. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
NeilF
Beginner

To be honest I have ZERO confidence in what you're saying now... We've gone through numerous things all of which have come to NOTHING. And now, in your latest suggestion we're at "re-install the operating system" with all the guarantees of that working NO BETTER than all your previous suggestions.

If you recall I had version 13 installed initially (from years ago) and that demonstrated EXACTLY the same behaviour as I witness now with V14.

FURTHERMORE - If I had a drive issues, why is it EVERY other application including your own SSD Toolbox application works PERFECTLY with the M.2? So why would I possibly want to go though all the hassle that your casual wave of the hand suggestion of "re-install the operating system" omits, when we both know almost certainly it will CHANGE NOTHING.

IMHO you're clutching at straws and worse of all, now certainly suggesting courses of action with hours and hours and hours of ramifications for possible (almost certainly) no improvement.

If you really think it's a driver issue this should surely be diagnosable in some fashion better than a system re-install hoping for the best. And again, can you suggest why if "the driver version installed is not a compatible one for the hardware/O.S combination" why EVERY other application using it is 100% happy with it INCLUDING YOUR OWN SSD TOOLBOX?

In fact don't bother... I've lost all faith in you being able to work through this problem when you resort to worse case suggestions such as " re-install the operating system", when it's just ONE PROGRAM having an issue.

I'll simply ignore the problem, indeed if there even is a problem!

0 Kudos
NeilF
Beginner

*ignore*

0 Kudos