Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID

VROC journalling and RAID 1

Tom53
Beginner

Hi,

I have a Dell Precision 7920 and am using the on-board VROC controller to support 3 RAID-1 arrays using standard HDD drives. Is there any benefit in nominating an SSD as a journaling drive? Would the write speed of the SSD rather than the standard drives then be the limiting factor for write performance?

Many thanks for any advice.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
David_G_Intel

Hello Tom53

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. Which operating system do you use?

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Tom53
Beginner

Hi David,

I'm using Windows 11.

Best regards.

Tom.

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Thank you for the update, can you please explain what you mean by "journaling drive"? Also, there should not be any write speed issues related to the SSD since it's an accelerated device by defect.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
Tom53
Beginner

Hi David,

I was hoping to get that information from Intel! There is an option in the BIOS to set a drive as a spare or to set it as a journal drive. So what do you mean by "journal drive"?

What I would like it to do is allow an SSD to act as a fast non-volatile buffer of updates so I don't have to wait for data to be written to the slower spinning drives that make up my RAID 1 array.

Can it support that use-case?

Best regards.

Tom.

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

The best option in this case is to confirm with Dell what the Journaling drive will do for your Dell system. This computer runs on Intel server chipset and questions should be addressed by Dell directly.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos