Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2081 Discussions

Volume Management Device NVMe RAID Controller

Ballyhooo
Beginner

Hi I'm getting a device manager raid controller error as follows:

Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_467F&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_00\3&11583659&0&70 requires further installation. 

Motherboard & BIOS info:

BIOS Version 1504
Date 5/24/2022
MOTHERBOARD Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Model TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4
Version Rev 1.xx
OPERATING SYSTEM Edition Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)
Version (Build) 21H2 (10.0.22000)
PROCESSOR 12th Gen Intel Core i-712700F
The PC has 3 x M.2 Samsung SSDs installed, 1 x SATA Samsung SSD & 2 x SATA WD HDDs mirrored using Win 11 RAID settings. All the drives appear to be working normally. Any ideas as to why I'm getting the device manager error? Thanks Ballyhooo
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Ballyhooo,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

In order to have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

• When did the issue start?
  • Provide me with a screenshot of the error message.
  • Is this a new RAID implementation?
  • Have you experienced any issues with the RAID implementation, Data loss?

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Ballyhooo
Beginner

Hi Jean

Thanks for this. The PC has just come back from having an extensive hardware upgrade of the motherboard, new M.2 SSD o/s drive, CPU & memory as its previous configuration wasn’t compatible with Win 11 (the Kaby Lake CPU failed the upgrade test). I've added back in my existing M.2 & HDD drives into the PC & all seem fine with no data loss. Have attached some screenshots from Task Manager & the Event Viewer snap-in console that suggests the issue started on the 13th. The full entry under the "Source" column reads Kernel-PnP. Thanks BallyhoooEvent ViewerEvent ViewerTask Manager detailTask Manager detailTask ManagerTask Manager 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Ballyhooo,

Thanks for your response.

According to Error codes in Device Manager in Windows, the drivers for this device are not installed. If you want more information about the error codes in the Device Manager, visit the following article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/error-codes-in-device-manager-in-windows-524e9e89-4dee-8883-0afa-6bca0456324e

As Windows detects that there is no driver installed, I recommend installing the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver Software 19.0.0.1065 provided by Asus on their product website. Visit their website for your motherboard to download the driver:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-GAMING-Z690-PLUS-WIFI-D4/HelpDesk_Download/

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Ballyhooo
Beginner

Hi Jean

Thanks for this reply. It's probably a dumb question but is the Asus RST driver you link to the same as I can see that is switchable in the BIOS? If so, it's currently disabled so would enabling it via F2 on a re-boot achieve the same aim?

Thanks Ballyhooo

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

That is odd. The fact that the RAID device is being 'seen' in Windows would seem to indicate that RAID has been enabled within the BIOS. When RAID is enabled in the BIOS, it does not automatically cause a driver to be available in Windows; you need to install the RST package to get this driver.

At this point, you need to make a decision. If you plan to use RAID or an Optane Module/SSD, then by all means, go ahead and install Intel RST. If you have no plans to use RAID or Optane, then I recommend that (a) you do not install RST and (b) while you could simply ignore the device that is being manifested, you should contact Asus to find out why the capability is being enabled when you have the parameter set to disabled (as this is an indication of a BIOS bug).

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Ballyhooo,

I hope you are doing fine.

I have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos