Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Why RST will not show me any option to accelerate my system using my Kingston SSD 128GB drive

BReec
Beginner

Hello,

This is my second question for the day. I have read and reread all the material on how to use an SSD drive (internal) to accelerate or act as a cache for my tB HDD (internal) I have wiped the SSD clean left it with no formatting, have plenty of unallocated space and so on. I have an MSI GL73 8RC- 8th gen processors, The HM70, and the PCI express card . But no matter what I do I cannot get any option to improve the performance of my storage in the RST user interface. I do get the message that my system is configured for better performance but for the life of me I cannot get it to work. Is it just me or am I missing a key step?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Support for Intel Smart Response Technology (SRT), the feature that allowed a SATA SSD to be used as a high-speed cache to accelerate the performance of a HDD, was dropped from the chipset with the arrival of support for Intel Optane Memory. You can no longer do what you are trying to do other than using an Intel Optane Module.

S​orry,

...S

0 Kudos
BReec
Beginner
Well thank you very much for your help with this. At least I know I am not a complete idiot. I burned some time on this one and should have figured out that Intel wants to sell their optane memory modules and it wouldn't make sense to keep providing this feature to us who don't want to fork out all that cash for those new modules. Too rich for my blood. Thanks again for helping this old Marine out. Sincerely, Big fan of my intel hardware and support services Bob R. Robert G. Reece
0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello BReec,

I would like to confirm that the Intel® Smart Response and acceleration features are still available to accelerate an HDD using an SSD as the cache memory, this feature is no longer supported beginning with the Intel(R) RST 16.0 product line. So, based on this information, this feature is supported by the version 15.9.6.1044 and before. However, I was not able to find the Intel® HM370 chipset as supported on the release notes for these drivers version.

Hence, since your system is a laptop, Intel recommends that end users utilize driver updates provided by their system manufacturer/provider or via Windows Update to eliminate the potential impact caused by loading non-customized drivers. System manufacturers regularly customize Intel generic drivers to meet the needs of their specific system design. In such cases, use of the Intel generic driver update is not recommended.

If the feature is not available on the Intel® RST driver version provided by your OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) I would recommend you to get in contact with them in order to know if this feature is available with your set up and system.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel.

0 Kudos
BReec
Beginner
Hello, And thank you very much for your outstanding support. I can say that Intel over all other manufacturers that i deal with for hardware or software needs are the best in the business and seem to have a real grasp on the importance of technical support even for a mid-level experienced guy like me. Thank you again I appreciate it. I will always be an Intel fan! Sincerely, Bob Reece
0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello BReec,

Thank you for the response.

We would like to thank you for using our products and also thank you for the opportunity to serve you. It is our pleasure. You are a valued customer to us.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos