Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

X99 M.2 Boot + HDD RAID1 for Data?

MrPete
Beginner

I've seen it written that X99 M.2 cannot support RAID because it goes straight to the CPU.

I don't want or need M.2 RAID.

What I want seems far more desirable and common:

1) M.2 for Boot disk

2) RAID1 for a mirrored pair of HDD's

I thought I saw that Intel had fixed RST driver/software in this regard (but can't find it now.)

Is this possible?
What versions of drivers needed?
If not, can anybody explain why? This is an extremely useful and relatively simple capability.

If not directly on the MOBO, is there a way to accomplish this via PCIe adaptors of some kind?

Thanks,
Pete

Setup:

- Windows 10 Pro
- Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 v1.0
- WD Gold 12TB HelioSeal x 2
- M.2 -- TBD

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello MrPete, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. 

In regards to your question, yes, you can use an M.2 disk as bootable, and the rest of SATA connectors to create a RAID 1 of HDDs. From Intel's side there is no limitation, however; the problem can be with your motherboard. It seems your machine comes with 6 SATA connectors, but you will need to check with the motherboard manufacturer (OEM) for RAID support as some connectors only support IDE and ACHI modes only, and others will become unavailable when an M.2 SSD is installed. Check here, under Storage Interface: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-X99-UD4-rev-10/sp#sp  

The driver you should use is the latest validated for this machine from the OEM, the version 1‎4.8.0.1042 as you can check here: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-X99-UD4-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-sataraidahci  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It is true that, if the M.2 connectors use processor PCIe lanes, VROC (not standard RST) would be necessary to support using RAID across NVMe drives.

What you are asking for is the most-common usage model and is the way that RST works by default. It is unclear to me what you were reading, but no 'fix' is necessary.

Use this process:

1. Enable UEFI and RAID in BIOS (set SATA Mode to RAID).
  2. Install Windows 10 in UEFI mode on M.2 SSD.
  3. Power off, install SATA Drives and power back on.
  4. Use CTRL-I sequence during BIOS POST to enter RAID Program in OpROM.
  5. Create RAID array across SATA drives. Create Volume within RAID array.
  6. Exit RAID Program and boot into Windows.
  7. Install RST package.
  8. Create and format partition in RAID Volume.
  9. Test.

Note that, if you use one of the older versions of RST supplied on the Gigabyte site (i.e. 14.x), then you will install and can use the older RAID Control Program to manage the array. You may be able to use the new Intel Memory and Storage Tool as well; I am unsure (haven't tried this). If you install the latest RST version available on the Intel site (i.e. 17.x), then you will use the Intel Memory and Storage Tool exclusively to manage the array.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello MrPete,  

Were you able to check the previous post and follow our recommendations? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello MrPete,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos