2055 Discussions

hard drive missing after installing rst

PMiha1
Beginner

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

We cannot do anything with a query like that. Fully document your hardware, what you did and what you saw. Feel free to answer in your native language if uncomfortable in English.

...S

0 Kudos
PMiha1
Beginner
Greetings Scott. My apology for giving insufficient details regarding my missing backup hard drive after installing the Intel RST disk management software.... and the inability to undo the installation. I understood that RST modifies the generic hard disk management system that came with my Acer Nitro 5 by making my backup 1 Terabyte drive & into a recovery drive for Windows 10. I unfortunately did not understand that i would no longer have any access to any space on that drive. Analysis says the backup drive only has about 10 gig of space not the 1 Terabyte. I therefore wanted to undo the the installation & revert to original settings but found uninstallation did not work as hoped. & created extra problems. I am now stuck with a 118 gig SSD hard drive with no oneTerabyte drive even though the bios says its still there, I then tried to reset & use recovery tools, even tried to reset to factory defaults but that did not succeed as a message came up that there is no recovery info available on the laptop. Then it asks for the activation keys o reinstal windows. Note the latest version of Windows 10 is still working well We have had problems with internet access affecting communication in our area. I will put together the details you will need and get back to you. Specs on the ACER NITRO 5 coming today. Thanks for your patience. Peter
0 Kudos
PMiha1
Beginner
https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D70P000006iXpBSAU Acer Nitro AN515-52 BIOS Version V1.28 Date 8/5/2019 MOTHERBOARD Manufacturer CFL Model Freed_CFS Version V1.28 OPERATING SYSTEM Edition Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-bit) Version (Build) 1909 (10.0.18363) Devices and Drivers PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i5-8300H CPU @ 2.30GHz GRAPHICS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Intel® UHD Graphics 630 AUDIO NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM) Realtek High Definition Audio NETWORKING AND I/O Intel® Wireless-AC 9560 ExpressVPN TAP Adapter Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller Symantec TAP Driver Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® MEMORY 8 GB STORAGE Intel Recovery Volume
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Somewhere in this systems BIOS Setup scenes, there should be a scene where you set the SATA Mode and, in the process, enable/disable RAID. In this scene or somewhere close to it, there should be a scene where you can see the Intel RST RAID configuration. You can use this scene to remove the two drives from the RAID1 array that you (inadvertently) set up. The SSD should be ok and still bootable afterwards, but the contents of the HDD will be gone (you will have to repartition and reformat).

Sorry I cannot describe this better; every manufacturer implements his BIOS scenes differently and I do not have a (well, modern) Acer laptop to look at..

...S

0 Kudos