Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

how to stop IastorB.sys from installing

idata
Employee

Hi I have a PC that came with Intel Rapid Store Technology. It came with an installed driver IastorA.sys which I assume is the driver for RST. Lately the RST got upgraded to the professional version which required IastorB.sys and that got installed also. Then the PC kept crashing with a BSOD DPC access Violation with the crash pointing to IastorB.sys. I did not install the professional version and through a lot of hard work I managed to delete this driver and reinstalled the non-professional version of RST. After 2 weeks the PC crashed again. Same problem. IastorB.sys got installed again and caused the problems.

My question is how do I stop iastorB.sys from installing itself. Is there an installer for the non-professional version of RST out there that I can use? How can I stop the upgrade to the professional version?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Suan Pin Foo

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello suanpfoo,

Could you please let me know your computer model, chipset model and your operating system? From my end, you can find the Intel® RST RAID Driver and I can help finding the right one for your system.

Are you getting the RST from your computer manufacturer?

How is the RST being updated? Through the operating system updates?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Amy

Thank you for the quick response.

My PC is a Origin Genesis from last October . My motherboard is an ASUS STRIX and my processor is an INTEL i7-6950. I have the Intel C600 chipset I think but I am using the standard Microsoft AHCI driver since the BSOD. I have the intel chipset SATA RAID Controller also running. My operating system is windows 10 home. I used setuprst.exe to set up the RST software. The RST came with the computer but I don't know what was used to set it up.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

For your chipset model, the only RAID driver available from our end is the following; https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25393/Intel-RSTe-AHCI-SCU-Software-RAID-driver-for-Windows- Download Intel® RSTe AHCI & SCU Software RAID driver for Windows*. This one is the Enterprise version, and it works the same as the non-Enterprise version.

Now, let's try to safely remove the current driver you have installed, follow the steps below;

Instructions to uninstall the Intel® RST;

1. Open the Add/Remove Programs window
  2. Find the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology.
  3. Right click Intel® Rapid Storage Technology driver and select Uninstall.
  4. Follow the prompts stated by the Intel Installation Framework window to complete the process.
  5. Reboot the computer after the uninstall process has finished.

Once done try installing the version mentioned above.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Amy

I will try it on the weekend and let you know.

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/113199 suanpfoo, yes please, I will be waiting for your input.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/113199 suanpfoo, how did it go?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Amy

I tried the procedure you suggested. Everything seemed OK for a while then I got the DPC Watchdog Violation BSOD again. RST was he only thing I changed (that and IastorB.sys which got installed with the procedure. I deleted the IastorB.sys driver after installing the professional version of RST. Then I managed to delete the driver and reinstalled it with setuprst.exe. I had to revert the driver to the standard AHCI driver. After that my PC stabilised. I have not experienced any BSOD for the last 3 days. I guess there was some compatibility with IastorB.sys. I have decide not to update the PC for the foreseeable future as long as the non-Enterprise version of RST works for me.

Thank you for the help.

Suan Pin Foo

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Suan Pin, thank you for the update.

I am glad to hear that the system is stable, please let me know if the system continues to behave like this.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos