Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

"Initialize" issues/questions on Intel RST RAID10

bchandler02
Beginner

Greetings - 

Question here on a system I am building.  I've got 4x 14TB Ultrastars running in a RAID10 array. Board is a W480 chipset, running W10 Pro. 

I set up the RAID array in the BIOS of the board with no issues. Got to windows and formatted it, and can see it and use it normally. 4x14TB gave me 25.4TB usable space, which is fine. I've thrown some data on the array and it is operating just fine, outside of the issue below. 

In the Intel software it shows the array as normal, but not initialized. I attempted to initialize it, and it got to 55% and then failed. Attempting to restart it would give an error (0xA0010012) until you rebooted the PC and then tried to restart the process, it would run for an hour or two and fail again. 

I've since updated the drivers for the chipset from the mobo manufacturer and restarted the process around 1PM on Saturday (it's now 11AM Monday) and it is only at 6% complete. I know this can take a day or two to complete based on past experience, but this seems really slow. 

So my questions: 

1. What does the initialization process actually do, and is it needed if the array was created in the BIOS of the board? 
  2. How long should it realistically take for this setup to complete? 
  3. Is the correct process to create in BIOS and then initialize in Windows via the Intel app? 
  4. If it does fail again, what steps should I take to try and figure out why it is failing? 

System config, if needed: 

• Gigabyte W480 board
  • i5-11600 
  • 4x 14TB Ultrastar (RAID)
  • Samsung m2 SSD (OS) 
  • 16GB RAM
  • Win10 Pro - all latest updates installed
  • Intel Optane Memory and Storage app version 18.1.1015.0, driver 18.31.6.1039
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello bchandler02,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

· Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/25293/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html  

· Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

· To save your scan, click Next and click Save.  

2. Are you using an Optane memory?

3. Is the Gigabyte W480 VISION D (rev. 1.0) the exact model of your motherboard?

- https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/W480-VISION-D-rev-10#kf

4. Can you take a picture of the issue/error?

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello bchandler02, 

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.    

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
bchandler02
Beginner

ok to close this ticket. 

0 Kudos