Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

"unknown error 0xA0040002" and failure while creating a mirrored volume using RST 16.0.2.1086

inet
Beginner

I recently upgraded my motherboard to an Asus Prime Z370-A which I specifically purchased because it had Intel's Rapid Storage Technology onboard, which I planned to use for a RAID 1 mirrored volume over two 4 TB disks.

I had already had these disks set up as a mirrored volume on my old motherboard. Because of the change in operating system and technology, I had to recreate the volume.

I was distressed to see that the only option in the BIOS configuration for creating the volume would destroy all the data. This wasn't a possibility for me because I don't have anywhere to store my 3TB of data while I do this.

I was glad to see that there was a windows GUI application which supported creating a volume without deleting all data. But it hasn't worked for me despite trying many things and searching through this forum for hours. It's also pretty distressing to see the huge number of people posting here, over years, about "unknown errors". Why hasn't the software been updated to give more informative error messages?

Anyway, I am one of those people. When I go to create the volume while preserving data I get the "unknown error" message (attached) and the creation fails (although the software claims success). Then the target drive (the one without the data) is marked as "unavailable" and no longer shows up in the disk manager. I was able to remove this condition with the RST tool, but that just brought me back to where I started. I am using version 16.0.2.1086 which I have verified as compatible with my motherboard: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-Z370-A/HelpDesk_Download/ PRIME Z370-A Driver & Tools | Motherboards | ASUS USA

I followed the instructions in this thread:

First by shrinking the volume I was sourcing the data from, which first caused the system to be unable to boot, necessitating reverting to a system restore point. The volume was split however (which you can see in my screenshot of the drive management attached), but still the RST failed to create the volume in the exact same way as before.

Then I attempted to use the software linked (RST v 11.7.0.1013) as a second option, which caused me to be unable to boot, and I had to revert to a system restore point. Note I uninstalled v.16.0.2.1086 before installing v.11.7.0.1013.

I've also verified that RST (and nto AHCI) is enabled in BIOS.

I can't find any more information about this issue in the boards. I am attaching an image of the error message, an image of my disk management, a system support utility report, and a RST system report.

Thanks for your help, if you can offer some.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, intel net. Thank you very much for taking the time to reach the Intel Communities Team. I will do my best to assist you further.

Let us try the following: Shrink the D: partition and create a 6 or 12 MB unallocated space section in the disk and then, try to create the array once again. This space will be used to keep the RAID metadata.

Let us know how it goes.

Antony S.

0 Kudos
inet
Beginner

Hi Antony,

I did this (although despite selecting 12MB when I shrunk the volume, I ended up with 13) and then tried creating the mirror. I got the exact same results as above.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you very much for your response, intel net.

Let us try the following:

1. Uninstall the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology tool from programs and features.

2. Restart the system.

3. Install the 15.8 Intel® Rapid Storage Technology version.

If these steps do not work for you, please provide me with a new screenshot of the Windows* Disk Management.

Let us know how it goes.

Antony S.

0 Kudos
inet
Beginner

Hi Antony,

I've just tried this is well. I get the same exact behavior, with the sole difference being the error code reported is 0xA0000002.

Attaching an image of the disk state now. Note that I cleared the broken metadata from the failed mirror volume creation from D: before capturing this state; it didn't appear in the list here before I did that.

Regards.

0 Kudos
inet
Beginner

Hi Antony,

Any ideas how we can get this to work? It's pretty strange that everything we have tried so far has failed. How should we go about diagnosing so that we don't keep going in circles?

Regards.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, intel net. Thank you for letting us know the results.

Please try the following:

• If your data is in the D: disk: Format the E: disk and set it as Basic and not Dynamic Type and, make sure the space is unallocated. Then, try creating the Raid Array once again.

If this do not solve the problem or the data is in disk D: then try this:

• Create a back up of your data, format both disks as Basic and, leave them as unallocated space. Now, try to create the Raid Array.

Let us know how it goes.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
inet
Beginner

Hi Antony,

That's not a sugegstion I can use, becasue I don't have anywhere else to keep that data as I stated above. Which is why I am in this thread; if I had another location to keep the data I wouldn't need to do this.

RST didn't work, but I was able to recreate the mirror using native windows disk management. I'll be uninstalling RST.

Regards.

0 Kudos