We use an Intel Server Board S3420GPLX with two Dimm's (each has 2 GB) in the both blue Slots.
Now we wanted to upgrade the Server. I ordered 4 Dimm's (Samsung M393B5170DZ-CF8) with 4 GB each.
They are in the Intel List for this Mainboard.
In put the both old 2 GB's out and put the 4 new and bigger ones in - but - it doesn't work
The differences between the old and the new Memory is not just the MemorySize , but also the Speed.
(the old one 1333 / the new one 1066)
What is the fault? Is there any changing required in the Bios BEFORE changing the Memory?
When i put in the old ones again - the Server is booting..
Please help me - i have to "upgrade" the Server within the next day's
Here are our recommendations:
1. Test the memory modules one by one on the A1 memory slot. Do not mix different types of memory modules.
2. Make sure you have the latest firmware update for the server system.
3. Power cycle the board by disconnecting the power cables pressing the power button for 10 seconds and clear the CMOS battery for one minute.
I'm back from the Office.
The first thing, i've done today was flashing the Firmware to 52 - that work's well.
- then i disconnect the power-cables,
- press the Power button for 10 sec
- removed the CMOS-Bat for 1 Minute
- Restart the Computer with the 4 DIMM
...same Problem like before: just 3 Long BEEPS - and still a black Screen
So i put the both old DIMMS inside (each just 2 GB) instead of the new ones
Systems starts, and after entering Time/Date in CMOS everything works well.
Dan's recommendations didnt work (on this System).
I'm confused and feeling very unhappy.
Any more ideas?
Thanks - Max