Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

Ask An Expert - The Server Room

idata
Employee

<![CDATA[<font size="3">Welcome to intel.com/ITopia. Join the discussion, debate and collaborate. This is your opportunity to *ask our experts* what you want to know about Intel's latest technologies. The floor is yours.]]><![CDATA[<hr>]]><![CDATA[<font size="2">+This discussion is not intended to answer PC support question. If you have a support question go to {document:id=1086}.+]]>

0 Kudos
280 Replies
idata
Employee

Hp has a bios update that resolves this isue

Added support for the latest Dual-Core Intel Xeon 5200-series and Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400-series processors.

Added support for the Processor Core C3 power management feature. On supported processors, this feature will allow inactive cores to go into a lower power state when another core on the processor package is active. Power savings will vary based on the type of workload being run on the server.

Added support for Intel's Core Multi-Processing (CMP) Technology, that allows disabling of processor cores. This new ROM Based Setup Utility (RBSU) option allows for disabling one-half the cores on each physical processor such that a dual-core processor will have one core enabled and a quad-core processor will have two cores enabled. This feature is not supported by all models of the Intel Xeon processor. Consult Intel documentation for further information.

Go to drivers and support and you will find it

Good Luck

0 Kudos
Christophe_P_Intel

I checked with out technical team that works with HP. The Xeon E5410 processor is compatible with HPs ML350 G5 server, http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12475_na/12475_na.html .

However, http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00708990/c00708990.pdf HPs maintenance and server guide does not list the Intel heatsink as being supported by the ML350 G5 so it appears HP used a custom heatsink for this design. I recommend you followup with HP directly on heatsink compatibility support

Chris

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I see no drivers for Windows 2008 and the PT Quad port NICs. I just ordered the Quad port NIC hoping that I could use it instead of the Broadcom. However, I cannot find a driver currently that I can install. When will support be available for this card in Windows 2008 64bit?

0 Kudos
JLodh
New Contributor II

In response to MESSAGE

Dear Guest,

As per information provided, the model you are talking about it perhaps http://www.intel.com/products/server/adapters/pro1000pt-quadport/pro1000pt-quadport-overview.htm EXPI9404PT. I looked for it's drivers for Windows Server 2008 64bit and I can see a wide variety of drivers available for numerous flavours of 64bit windows server 2008. Follow the URL and under the http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/1000ptquad/index.htm Software and drivers section, click http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2606 Download software and drivers and select the OS for which you want the drivers and download them. I hope this solves your problem however in case you still encounter problem, let us know.

--

Warm Regards,

Javed Lodhi

Intel Go Green! Save The Environment

0 Kudos
JLodh
New Contributor II

In response to http://communities.intel.com/message/5188# 5188 MESSAGE 178

Dear Guest,

As per information provided, the model you are talking about it perhaps http://www.intel.com/products/server/adapters/pro1000pt-quadport/pro1000pt-quadport-overview.htm EXPI9404PT. I looked for it's drivers for Windows Server 2008 64bit and I can see a wide variety of drivers available for numerous flavours of 64bit windows server 2008. Follow the URL and under the http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/1000ptquad/index.htm Software and drivers section, click http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2606 Download software and drivers and select the OS for which you want the drivers and download them. I hope this solves your problem however in case you still encounter problem, let us know.

--

Warm Regards,

Javed Lodhi

Intel Go Green! Save The Environment

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I want a career working with servers, what IT program do I take?

0 Kudos
JLodh
New Contributor II

In response to http://communities.intel.com/message/5209# 5209 MESSAGE 179:

Dear Guest,

You might want to take a look into CompTIA Server+ certification that can get you started making a career as a Systems Engineer / Analyst, Network Engineer / Analyst and a lot more but I must mention that this is a beginner level just to get you started. You just wouldn't want to be a hardware technician for long and perhaps move towards solutions to grow in future.

Hope this helps, if any doubts, feel free to contact us.

--

Warm Regards,

Javed Lodhi

Intel Go Green - Save the Environment

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Does anyone have same problem or may help ? S5000PAL / SR2500, 2 SATA drives, RAID0, VOL0 (C:) with Win SVR 2003 R2 x64 enterprise partition. 3 SAS drive, RAID0, VOL1 (D:). When I power up server Intel Embedded RAID controller see all drives and volumes but OS see only C:. Intel Web RAID console states that SAS drives from bay 2 and 3 are physicaly missing. After restart OS there is also D:. This is allways only when I power up server. If I restaring server there are both volumes. If I enter into LSI TEXT mode RAID setup after power up server and just exit, OS see both volumes. If I swap drives, put two SATA drives with OS from bay 0 and 1 into bay 2 and 3 and put SAS drives from bay 2 and 3 into 0 and 1 only first time there are are no volume D. When OS and Intel RAID Web Console does not see two SAS drives when they are in bay 2 and 3 console states that these drives at bays are SATA but they not, they are SAS Seagate Cheetah 15K. Best regards, waiting to here news from you.

0 Kudos
William_L_Intel1
Employee

If you are still looking for comments & suggestions on your questions, please start a new thread http://communities.intel.com/post!input.jspa?communityID=2026 HERE . Thanks for your participation in our forum.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Dear Support,

We have some questions about Intel® Entry Storage System SS4200-E .

1.Can we integrate this storage with windows active Directory so that we can manage shared folders of the users with windows security permissions like full Control, modify, Read & execute, list folder contents, Read ,Write, special Permissions.

2.And also we want to create one folder for each department and this folder will have subfolder for each user and also we need to define the quota for each user.

3.Intel® Entry Storage System SS4200-E maximum support 4 hard drives, how can we upgrade.

Regards

0 Kudos
JLodh
New Contributor II

Dear Guest,

1. Yes you can integrate SS4200-E with Active Directory and share folders of the users with MS Windows security permissions as desired.

2. You may have folder for a department and a user concurrently however in your scenario, when you would have integrated it with AD, you will have a folder for every domain user and you can set access on it individually. I must bring this in your notice that storage might have issues with NTLM v2.0.

3. SS4200-E supports up to 4 HDD however you can go up to many additional drives as you want by connecting a JBOD or RBOD using the eSATA port provided at the back of SS4200-E. Moreover you can connect HDDs using the USB controllers provided in the box however you can't add the drives connected via USB in the RAID.

For any other queries regarding SS4200-E, feel free to write.

--

Warm Regards,

Javed Lodhi

Intel Go Green, Save The Environment!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

On our latest series of servers, it comes with IPMI support and we have already got everything working on WS2003 x86 platform. One of the component required to get it working is the IPMI driver. We got this version of the driver from our vendor. It has the list of files below:

imbdrv.cat

imbdrv.inf

imbdrv.sys

IntelIPMIService.exe

SetupIMB.exe

As we are moving to WS2008 x86 and x64 platfom, we need a newer version of the drivers above. I've been searching in the Intel website to download the driver but I can't seem to be able to find it. Closest I could find from the Intel download site is the Intel Server Management Pack 3.0. I downloaded it and tried installing but it will refuse to proceed, citing that unsuppored server found.

Could anyone tell me where to download the above driver package?

Thanks

John Tan

0 Kudos
William_L_Intel1
Employee

If you are still looking for comments & suggestions on your questions, please start a new thread http://communities.intel.com/post!input.jspa?communityID=2026 HERE . Thanks for your participation in our forum.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

i am looking for a notebook/laptop with the following specifications:

1- ram (1333) ddr3

2- processor (1333)

3- motherboard (1333)

or all above with (1066) MHz

with vpro technology, i did search a lot but i am

unable to find that which manufacturer is offering

the above said notebook/laptop.

also the notebook/laptop must be fully loaded with

all accessaries.

so please provide me link of manufacturerers

or guide me.

regards,

naveed

0 Kudos
JLodh
New Contributor II

Dear Guest,

1- All laptop manufacturers can give you the following option in a laptop provided they give you an option at the time of ordering a laptop where you individually select every component which effects the overall price. You can go for a manufacturer of your choice i.e. Sony, Dell, HP, IBM, Lenovo, Acer, Toshiba, Fujitsu Siemens, etc etc.

2- For the vPro enabled laptop, you need to fulfill the requirement for vPro.

From what you are asking for, I can tell you that you are looking up a customized solution, something like Intel Whitebook, one of which I use however I am not sure if any laptop manufacturer would be willing to provide you with such a solution for a single notebook. Just in case you insist, I'll look up something on my own and recommend in case something comes up ... as your solution is very much possible with an Intel whitebook or in some cases, with a few manufacturers.

--

Warm Regards,

Javed Lodhi

*Intel Go Green! Save The Environment*

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We have an SS4000-e in our company network. It has Firmware version 1.3 and is Active Directory integrated, Now an error is written frequently in the log:

"Number of users on Active Directory server exceeded storage system maximum."

And that is correct because we have around 140 users and groups in our AD. And counting. How do I get around this problem? We have like 5 accounts that i can remove, but that is not enough and our new users cant access the NAS.

0 Kudos
William_L_Intel1
Employee

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm a researcher in the area of Machine Learning. I develop much of my software in C/C++ to get a high performance, and now I am looking to buy new machines with better processors. I wonder if you can give me some general guidelines, since I don't know much about processor technology.

My simulations are coded in C/C++ and involve alot of multiplication (and sum) operations on double typed variables. I'm looking at buying several quad core processors in the Xeon E5400 family (E5405-E5450). As far as I can see, the only things that differ these models is that the clockrate ranges from 2-3 GHz. Now, to my question:

• Is the difference between the 2.0GHz and 3.0GHz models that I can perform 50% more double-typed multiplications (or sums) per second on the latter versus the former model?

• Also, what would be the performance difference in no. of double-typed multiplications (sums) per second between the E5450 and the X5450 (both 3.0GHz, same bus speed)? Is it just the power consumption that differs?

• And how does the speed of the Front Side Bus change the number of multiplications/sums I can do per second? To be specific, what is the difference between E5450 (1333MHz bus) and E5472 (1600MHz bus)?

Thanks,

Peter

0 Kudos
Christophe_P_Intel

Peter, Hi .. sorry for the delay but I needed to spend some time engaging with our performance engineers before I could answer. As always with performance estimates, your actual results will vary based on your specific application but here are some general guidelines for you.

For the 2.0 GHz vs 3.0GHz comparison: If your application is not memory bound (reading one piece of data at a time from memory) you should see 50% more multiplications (or sums) per second since the application will process as fast as the CPUs can do computations.

If, however, your application relies on reading two memory locations simultaneously for each multiplication, the performance will likely be dependent on the Front Side Bus Speed and you will see something less than 50% scaling. If this is the case, then using a E5472 (1600MHz FSB) will benefit your application performance.

For the E5450 vs X5450 – yes, the only difference is the power level between these SKUS (both are 3.0HGz at a 1333MHz FSB) and for the analysis you are doing and the power level should not affect the performance.

If you need more information I can probably get you more details if you tell me more about your specific application.

Hope that helped, Chris

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am looking to possibly build an Itanium- or Xeon- based server. I see on the Intel website that the Itanium servers are scalable "up to 512 dual-core processors and an incredible 1000TB (1 Petabyte) RAM".

My questions are:

1. If I were to buy Itanium servers, how would I go about "scaling" them? Is there a tutorial somewhere on the Internet for this process?

2. Is there a tutorial for building the servers, once I have the parts?

3. Where can I buy the Intel Itanium Processor Model # 9150M from?

4. Are there any places I can buy Intel server products from that do not require large quantities? (Maybe five to twenty units?)

Thanks in advance,

Jared Brees

0 Kudos
Robert_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi Jared,

There is no tutorial (published by Intel) available publicly for building an Itanium server since Itanium is designed to be supported by an OEM, rather than being a "build-your-own" white box server platform. The scalability (for SMP systems) is accomplished with various chipset components. Chipsets and Itanium processors, including the Series 9150M are available from our OEMs and are configured and available normally as part of an integrated system platform. You would need to purchase Itanium systems or parts directly from one of the Itanium OEMs (Bull, Fujitsu, Fujitsu-Siemens, Hitachi, HP, NEC, SGI, Supermicro or Unisys) or one of their authorized distributors.

Rob
0 Kudos