Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4783 Discussions

Ask An Expert - The Server Room

idata
Employee

<![CDATA[<font size="3">Welcome to intel.com/ITopia. Join the discussion, debate and collaborate. This is your opportunity to *ask our experts* what you want to know about Intel's latest technologies. The floor is yours.]]><![CDATA[<hr>]]><![CDATA[<font size="2">+This discussion is not intended to answer PC support question. If you have a support question go to {document:id=1086}.+]]>

0 Kudos
280 Replies
William_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for your question. Click the link more information regarding the http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/e8500/ E8500 Chipset.

As for your overall system power requirements, this depends on many factors including which processor type you choose, what type memory you have, etc. Would need to know more details, but 350W sounds a bit marginal in today's systems.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We are currently investigating a project using Openfiler open source SAN os http://www.openfiler.com www.openfiler.com with an Intel SSR212MC2 storage server as we are having many customer requests for this configuration. Is it possible to get Linux installation packages for Intel Storview and RAID web console 2 that can work with rpath (Not rpm)?

Regards

Peter

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Dear Sirs/Madams, QUESTION 01: Between two processors (QX 9650 / E 8400) there is a difference when it comes to L2 Cache (12MB and 6MB). However, there´s no other difference regarding Architecture, Clock Speed, FSB, and pins (except for board "DX38BT"). What would be the real perception someone might have if they use one and the other? I am not really acquainted with L2 Cache, but does it make such big a difference as to change one´s opinion on them? QUESTION 02: the first CPU mentioned is an extreme one whereas the second is a Duo one. However, the Arquitecture is the same, 45Nm. Is the amount of transistors in them the same, so that the performance remains virtually the same (except for L2)? If that is not the case, how am I supposed to compare them? I look forward to hearing from you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

The main differences between QX9650 and E8400 are as follows:

The Intel® CoreTM2 Extreme Processor QX9650 is a Quad Core processor whereas Intel® CoreTM2 Duo Desktop Processor E8400 is Dual Core.

The Thermal Design Power of QX9650 CPU is 130W whereas for E8400 CPU it is just 65W.

The Thermal Specification of QX9650 is 64.5°C and for E8400 it is 72.4°C.

QX9650 is designed to enable energy-efficiency so you can maximize your performance. So, I think QX9650 is better option than E8400.

I hope it will be useful.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I've been looking at the Server Configurator web site (http://serverconfigurator.intel.com/compare.aspx?CategoryID=4). The descriptions of one server system versus another server system (SC5400LXi, SC5400LX, SC54000BRP, for example) are pretty much identical, Similarly, the description for the S5000VSL, S5000BRP, and the others are also pretty much the same. What are the real advantages or disadvantages or the S5000VSL versus the S5000BRP, for example? Why what is the beenfit of one chipset versus another? Can you provide some more meat other than the technical documents that do not really explain why I would want one over another?

0 Kudos
Christophe_P_Intel

Hi, I apologize for the delay in our response. I am not an expert on our chassis designs and will look for someone who can address those.

As for the chipsets. For our 2 socket servers, we offer three different chipsets today that all work with the same dual-core and quad-core Xeon processors. The chipsets enable different levels of functionality for targeted usages

• Intel 5000 chipset: Mainstream, general purpose server. This chipset features a rich mix of technology features (including support for up to 16 slots of FBD memory, 2 dedicated FSB running at 1333Mhz FSB, PCIe I/O. This chipset (in combination with our multi-core xeon processors) have delivered leading 2 socket server perfomance across a broad range of applicaitons and benchmarks. This has been the most popular and widely deployed chipset supporting both the dual-core and quad-core xeon processors since May 2006. Unless you have a specific use model in mind (below) this is the chipset you

• Intel 5400 chipset: High performance computing servers and workstations. This chipset is optimized for enahanced bandwidth. Featuring a faster FSB (1600MHz), 2nd generation PCIe and a large snoop filter to optimize bus traffic. This chipset was introduced in Nov 07 with 45nm dual and quad-core processors and does support the older dual core and quad-core processors

• Intel 5100 chipset: Entry and low power servers. This chipset is optimized for low power and cost, featuring a smaller memory footprint (up to 6 slots) and offer lower power DDR2 memory. This makes them an excellent choice for power constrained, power concsious or entry business servers. This chipset was introduced in Nov 07 with 45nm dual and quad-core processor and does support the older dual and quad-core processors.

Other options for chipsets include ... Intel 3xxx chipsets support 1 socket servers and Intel 7xxx chipsets support 4+ socket servers

Chris

0 Kudos
William_L_Intel1
Employee

For the chassis specific portion of your question, please refer to Table 2 of the Technical Product Specification : http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/chassis/sc5400/sb/sc5400_tps_rev10.pdf here

Please let us know if this answers your question.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

how does one properly update the BIOS on the S5000PSL motherboard in an SC5400 chassis?

I see 4 componenets to update:

BIOS : 88

BMC : 63

HSC : ??

FRUSDR : 46

The Intel website says to do them in that order, but I don't see the HSC update in the latest BIOS package...

does each have to run independently and reboot/power off each time? or can these all run at once?

and what do all those things do?

Thanks

0 Kudos
William_L_Intel1
Employee

The HSC (Hot Swap Controller) FW is part of the HDD backplane, so you'd only need to do an update if you were using one of the backplanes that works with the SC5400 chassis. Intel does not put the HSC FW in the BIOS/BMC/FRUSDR package because not all folks who by the boards use the SC5400 Chassis.

Instructions are provided in the BIOS package for updating the BIOS, BMC and FRUSDR's.

The latest HSC FW update and readme file is located here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Filter_Results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2414&OSFullname=All+Operating+Systems&lang=eng&strOSs=All&submit=Go%21 HSC FW Update

Technical information such as the Technical Product Specification for the chassis can be found http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/chassis/sc5400/index.htm here

You will probably also want the TPS for the board found here: http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5000psl/sb/CS-022619.htm Technical Product Spec

Thanks for your question, hope this was helpful.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We are in the process of updateing our server. We are a small non profit business with 7 worksations. We received 3 quotes one was an Intel Pentium IV 2.4 Dual Core Xeon 1066, One is a Xeon 5130,1.6 Dial Core, and the other is a Quad Core Xeon E5335. I pulled up specs on the 5130 and the 5335. I have not been able to find anything on the 2.4 1066. There is a sizeable variance in price for each of the quotes as each is a different processor. I am trying to compare them by perforance, speed, etc. Any advice would be appreciated. We are trying to get the most bang for our buck as we are a non-proit organization. The server that we are looking to replace is a 4 year old HP Proliant ML330 Xeon 2.4GHz server.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Christophe_P_Intel

If you are already on a Xeon class machine ... I would personally recommend you stick with a intel xeon CPU as you will not lose any functionality (reliability and performance) from what you've been experiencing.

I believe the ML330 is a 1 socket server (one processor) and 4 years ago that processor would have one core

I'm having trouble finding the "Intel Pentium IV 2.4 Dual Core Xeon 1066" .. it could be the P8600 Core 2 Duo (dual-core) that runs 1066MHz bus speed but without more information it will be hard to tell.

For comparing the 5130 and E5335. Both of these CPUs are capable of running in 1 or 2 socket servers so you have headroom you can't get in a 1 socket server. The quad core (E5335) is a better bang for buck than dual-core for most standard applications. Intel lists them at the same price per CPU so you effectively get QC headroom at comparable costs (all other things being equal)

Another option is the latest 45nm quad core intel xeon's. The Xeon E5420 is a quad-core xeon processor running 2.5GHz (500MHz higher than E5335, same 1333 Mhz FSB) and should be available from the OEMs without an additional CPU premium (over E5335) and will give about a 20% boost in performance over the E5335 and up to 2x the dual core xeon 5130 depending on apps you are running.

Here is a http://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-1650 whitepaper to help you assess options for a generic small business environment comparing multiple workloads on both 1 socket and 2 socket servers done by a 3rd party lab (Principle Technologies)

Chris

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Chris: I di some further research and it looks like the third unit is the Xeon 3060 processor.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Christophe_P_Intel

Do you need any more information on to help make your decison? Chris

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

hi chris

thanks fo rthe info. i had already ordered the pc's. i just had doubts about the salemans telling me the Xeon X5460 really is @30% faster than a QX9650 or just pulling my chain.

vince

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have a new laptop, the Compaq 8510w. I have yet to configure AMT on it. I have managed to locate the password, "admin", but for some reason it continually rejects whatever I try to change the password to. How do I fix this problem so I can configure AMT?

0 Kudos
JoshHilliker
Employee

It may be an issue of not having a strong password. Check out the Strong Password rules. http://softwareblogs.intel.com/2007/11/08/strong-amt-me-passwords-and-other-shades-of-gray/

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

hi, Im using SMS Add-on 3.2.0.12 and HTTP Digest Authentication to connect and advertise programs for AMT Systems(3.0 and 2.5). Im using SMS 2003 SP3.

I can wakeup the wks using the "Power Control Operatios" but when i send a package the machine dont wake-up. In the SMS2003 log, i receive the message below:

"Execution failed. HPSYSTEM (192.168.10.13) (Operation # 39): Intel(R) AMT Power Control Operation. (System does not support requested Power Control option)."

"Execution failed. INTEL-PC (fe80::1cb3:dfee:1f7e:a459) (Operation # 536): Intel(R) AMT Power Control Operation. (System does not support requested Power Control option)."

Tks

0 Kudos
William_L_Intel1
Employee

First of all, my sincere apologies for such a delayed response. Is this still an issue for you? If so, are your systems provisioned? Are you able to connect via WebUI (http://IPaddress:16992) and run the remote control power items successfully?

Also, you want to make sure the "Wake up systems on mandatory advertisements" option is selected. This is under Site Database>Site Hierarchy>Collection>right click and select All Tasks>Inte(R) AMT Tasks, the Intel AMT Add-on service account is given sufficient privilege for Power On operation.

0 Kudos
Terry_C_Intel
Employee

sounds like a great question\discussion for the vPro Expert Center community - http://communities.intel.com/community/vproexpert

Pls resubmit the question in that forum to get responses from vPro Expert audience. This will create a separate thread specific to your inquiry

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello!

Be happy to assist you! I have a few questions to help myself investigate your issue further... What is the provisioning model you selected on the client system... Enterprise or SMB? Please provide your settings you have within SMS to help me further understand how you have your SMS configured... Collections > All Tasks > Intel® AMT Tools > Add-on Settings…

Also, after using the SCS (Enterprise mode)… Did you successfully "provision" the system you are attempting to power cycle under Intel® AMT Systems… under Status…

Lastly, a very important part is the discover of the system(s)… Under Collections > All tasks > Intel® AMT Tools > Discover Intel® AMT via SCS… Then update collection membership… Then refresh Intel® AMT Systems….

Please let me know your settings and other possible areas you may need to verify your settings since errors will occur if any setting is incorrect. Regards, Corey

0 Kudos