Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Cabling on Intel S2600 systems

stemp2
Beginner

Hi Guys,

I own two Intel Grizzly Pass platform and i'm a bit confused about cabling. Both were bought as used and shipped with extra parts.

[System1] - R2224GL4GCSAS

I have this set up as per https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/server-products/server-systems/000007266.html Hardware User Guide for Intel® RAID Expander RES2CV240 and RES2CV360

A, B, C, D, E ,F on SAS Expander are connected to backplane where H, I goes to Integrated RAID RMS25CB080

Is that correct configuration?

Is Integrated RAID RMS25PB080 supported as extra RAID controller to add more throughput to slots 16-23 if directly connected to them?

[System2] - R2312GL4GCSAS

In the http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/r2000gzgl_serviceguide.pdf service manual on page 18 it says to connect Integrated RAID RMS25CB080 to SAS Expander and then to backplane.

I have a spare Integrated RAID RMS25PB080 but in the current configuration it is not connected. Current configuration is:

SCU_0(no key installed) is connected to miniSAS_0 on backplane and Integrated RAID RMS25CB080 is connected to miniSAS_1 and miniSAS_2

From my understanding first four slots in backplane will be SAS 3Gb/s and the other eight connected to Intergrated RAID will be 6Gb/s?

What if i connect miniSAS_0 to Integrated RAID RMS25PB080? Do i have to buy SAS Expander if i want to fully utilise all slots in System2?

Regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello stn,

You have excellent questions and certainly the connections on this systems could be a bit confusing.

First of all let me ask you how many HDDs are you planning to connect to each of the servers or how many HDDs slots are available?. This is pretty important since it will determine the cabling type.

Assuming you have a 24 HDDs backplane option:

Connections on system 1 are correct. The RMS25PB080 RAID module provides a 6GB/s connection to all 24 HDDs. That feature is generated by the expander card.

In regards to system 2 if the RMS25PB080 RAID module is connected directly to the backplane you could only connect 8 HDDs. Combining SCU and RMS25PB080 RAID module is not supported. If you have a 24 HDD backplane you will need a expander card in order to take full advantage of all 24 HDDs backplane.

The reason why it looks like there is a combined SCU – RAID module connection on the service manual is only because if shows both the SCU and optional connections on the same schematic and it is certainly confusing.

Hope this helps.

Jose H.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello stn,

You have excellent questions and certainly the connections on this systems could be a bit confusing.

First of all let me ask you how many HDDs are you planning to connect to each of the servers or how many HDDs slots are available?. This is pretty important since it will determine the cabling type.

Assuming you have a 24 HDDs backplane option:

Connections on system 1 are correct. The RMS25PB080 RAID module provides a 6GB/s connection to all 24 HDDs. That feature is generated by the expander card.

In regards to system 2 if the RMS25PB080 RAID module is connected directly to the backplane you could only connect 8 HDDs. Combining SCU and RMS25PB080 RAID module is not supported. If you have a 24 HDD backplane you will need a expander card in order to take full advantage of all 24 HDDs backplane.

The reason why it looks like there is a combined SCU – RAID module connection on the service manual is only because if shows both the SCU and optional connections on the same schematic and it is certainly confusing.

Hope this helps.

Jose H.

0 Kudos
stemp2
Beginner

Hi Jose,

I don't know to be honest. I want to keep only one server and was checking what options i have. This will be a homelab system so i was thinking about System2 - as it has 12x3,5" slots(or 2,5" with adapters). 3.5" disks are cheaper and have bigger capacity.

Actually in that server i have RMS25CB080 connected to SAS Expander. What if i add RMS25PB080 and connect it directly to slots 16 - 23? Can i have two RAID controllers running at the same time?

Same question applies to System2 - Can i have two RAID controllers running in the system? For example:

RMS25CB080 connected to miniSAS_0 and miniSAS_1

RMS25PB080 connected to miniSAS_2 and use SFF-8087 to SATA cable for two SSD slots on the air duct

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi stn,

Any RMS25CB080 is capable of handling up to 8 HDDs. If you add an expander the same RMS25CB080 will handled up to the 24 HDDs on the backplane because the expander will create this function.

Now, you should be able to install 2 x RMS25CB080 on the same server, but it would be pointless since the expander card won't make it necessary. You just will need to install both RMS25CB080 ports to expander ports H and I and then cable expander ports A-G to backplane to support up to 24 HDDs without the need of the 2nd RMS25CB080.

If by any chance you still want to install 2 x RMS25CB080 (skipping the expander) keep in mind that each one will handle 8 HDDs and you could not combine volumes. Besides that you probably will need to install the RAID Web Console 2 application software to manage both RAID controllers.

Regards

Jose H.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi stn,

Do you have updates or questions about this?

Just let me know.

Jose H.
0 Kudos
stemp2
Beginner

Hi Jose,

All good. Thanks very much for your help

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Great news.

I will proceed to mark this thread as resolved.

Regards

Jose H.
0 Kudos