Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Can't get RAID working on M10JNP2sb with Win 10

jifrederick
New Contributor I

I brought a RAID1 pair from another RST.  With "SATA Mode selection" set to AHCI, neither your new VROC or the last RST for this board sees any of my drives.  With the SATA Mode Selection set to RAID, Disk Management, when booting, seems to see the RAID1 pair, but the Boot fails with "Inaccessable Boot device".  Disk Management sees all drives.  If I boot with AHCI, it looks like my RAID1 pair gets assigned a single drive letter and works well, but I know the drives are out of sync.  I can't tell whether or not the verify process is working.  The boot is an SSD gen'ed in AHCI mode.  If I try to gen in RAID mode, the Win 10 install doesn't see it.  I'm sure that there's a way.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
JoseH_Intel

Hello jifrederick,

Thank you for joining the Intel community

Are you try to import an existing RAID configuration into this new M10JNP system? Are you taking the drives from another identical M10JNP system or is it a different Intel one? If working you have to select RAID mode. VROC won't see the HDDs unless they originally were created using VROC. If not seeing the HDDs during the OS installation you might be needing the drivers for it. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29684/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Enterprise-Intel-RSTe-Software-RAID-Driver-for-the-Intel-Server-Board-M10JNP2SB

In order to properly setup a VROC SATA RAID volume (formerly known as RSTe) you can follow these instructions:

1) Advanced > Compatibility Support Mode (CSM) (Enabled)
2) Set to UEFI the Network, Storage, Video, Other PCI devices, saved changes (F10>Y)
3) Advanced > Compatibility Support Mode (CSM) > RSTe SATA Controller Configuration (this option appears after the Bios is set to UEFI)
4) Downloaded the driver from the next link: 

For Intel® Server Board M10JNP2SB

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise (Intel® RSTe) Software RAID Driver for the Intel® Server Board M10JNP2SB , Version: 6.2.0.1239 (Latest) Date: 7/2/2020

5)) Launched Windows setup and loaded the driver named: "VROC-f6_iaStorE_win8_64" the path is:

SW_Packages > f6-drivers > VROC_XXXX_F6-drivers > VROC_XXXX_F6-drivers

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit:

https://intel.com/support/serverbios

0 Kudos
jifrederick
New Contributor I

I got the F6 driver.  I think that I have the BIOS settings including one that you didn't list:

Chipset -> Southbridge -> SATA Mode Selection set to RAID.

Port 0 set to HDD  and connected to CD Drive

Port1 set to SDD connected to new boot drive INTEL 120 G.  I have 2 240G INTEL SSDs on order and will use one of them eventually.

If I boot with the Win 10 CD, I don't get the "Press any key to boot from CD".  Instead, I get a line of little boxes across the screen and response to keyboard.  With the M10 up in AHCI, the CD seems to work ok for reading.

In AHCI mode, I gen'ed a system with this CD drive, so I wouldn't expect that to be the problem.

0 Kudos
jifrederick
New Contributor I

Thanks very much for your prompt response.  We dialogged about a year ago.  I had used INTEL Workstation boards for many years until you stopped making them.  Then, I had several unpleasant experiences with ASUS products and support.  When I joined this board, I wanted to get a server board and add a sound card.  You suggested the M10JNP2sb.  It works well and is very stable.

For the current issue,  I have been able to move RAID1 pairs between different versions of RST.  In this case, one of your colleagues sent me a copy of the last RST before VROC so I have VROC and the RST installed(in different directories)

I made the CSM changes.  On the Advanced menu in the RSTe SATA controller submenu, it says that I have RSTe 5.5.0 1028 SATA Driver.

It sees my RAID1 volume and has the right size.  It also sees the non-RAID SSD boot drive.

I don't want a RAID boot drive, just a single conventional.  F6 drivers come into play when you need to gen a system on a boot drive that is not supported by the BIOS.  With these BIOS settings, do I need to regen Win 10 on the single SSD using these F6 drivers?

Thanks again for your help.

jif

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello jifrederick,

So, did it allow you to setup the system as intended? Or are you still trying to get the existing RAID configuration been recognized by the system?

Jose A.

0 Kudos
jifrederick
New Contributor I

Thanks for your prompt response. 

1.  I moved the RAID1 pair to another machine and the RST reported that they were working normally.  Either I was wrong about them being out of sync or the RAID chip on the M10JNP2sb has code to do the Verify in the background even without a working VROC or RST.   

2.  Now, my problem is that with RAID Mode Selection set to RA"ID, I can't gen the Win 10.  The procedure is to get the BIOS to see a bootable CD and output "Press any key to boot from CD".  It is several steps later that it asks about the F6 driver.  I looked at the Boot menu to try to force a boot from the CD player.  It looks like selection #1 starts with the CD player and ought to work.  Do you have a document that tells a beginner how to start from scratch to gen a Win 10 on a SSD which is not itself to be RAID protected, but will be used with other data disks will be RAID protected.  I know that there are additional complexities when you want the Boot drive to be protected, but that's not what I'm trying to do.  If my Boot drive fails, I just gen a replacement.

Thanks for your patience.

jif

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello jifrederick,

If I am understanding you well you are trying to install Win 10 in a non RAID disk, but you want to have a separate RAID volume for data storage for example? If this is the case then I think you have to setup 2 RAID volumes, 1 should be RAID 0 (for your separate disk where the OS will live) and a RAID 1, 5, X for the data storage.

I am attaching the BIOS setup guide so you can check for the Boot menu options: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/intel-m10jnp2sb-bios-setup-guide.pdf#page=65

Jose A.

0 Kudos
jifrederick
New Contributor I

I'm in business.  I tried gen'ing again with SATA Mode Selection set to AHCI and the cd wouldn't boot so I decided that I had the BIOS so messed up that nothing was going to work so I started from the beginning.  I reset the BIOS to Optimized Defaults(AHCI).  The cd booted.  I set the SATA Mode Selection to RAID(nothing else changed).  The cd booted.  When it asked for the new os disk, I give it the F6 driver that you sent.  It worked.  It saw the ssd.  Then, I installed the mb drivers and VROC 6.1.1239.  It sees all my disks, RAID and non-RAID,  and is now rebuilding my 12 RAID1.  Hopefully, you won't hear from me for awhile.  Thank you very much for your help.

jif

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello jifrederick,

I am glad to hear that you were able to get the issue resolved. We will proceed to mark this thread as resolved. If you have further issues or questions just go ahead and submit a new topic.

Jose A.

0 Kudos