Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4862 Discussions

Cannot Boot Windows Server on S1200BTL with ESRT2 RAID enabled using UEFI/GPT

bimmerdriver1
Beginner

The S1200BTL was discontinued,  but hopefully someone familiar with it can help.

I obtained one of these server boards with an E3-1230 Xeon processor, 32 GB of RAM and 5X 1TB WDC Enterprise drives. The system was running Windows Server 2008 with two RAID 1 arrays and a single extra drive.

I downloaded all of the most recent firmware, software and drivers that I could find from Intel and elsewhere. In particular, I downloaded the latest ESRT2 driver from the Intel website  specifically for this server board.

In the README for the ESRT2 driver, it says the following:

Intel(R) ESRT2 v1.60 only supports UEFI functionality.

This is exactly what I prefer. However, when I try to install Windows Server 2022 using UEFI/GPT, it hangs on the first reboot after Windows Server Setup copies over the files. I restarted using the installation USB and opened a command line so I could try to troubleshoot. It appears that the partitions aren't created properly for UEFI/GPT. I tried to repair them, but I was not successful.

I was able to verify that UEFI/GPT works fine if ESRT2 is disabled (i.e., drives are AHCI).

I was able to verify that BIOS/MPR works fine if ESRT2 is enabled (i.e., drives are in a RAID10 array).

I also tried UEFI/GPT with the 5X drives not in a RAID array.

I tried using MBT2GPT after installing using BIOS/MBR, but it would not boot.

However, no matter what I try, I can't get past the first reboot when trying to install UEFI/GPT with ESRT2 enabled.

There is an earlier version of the ESRT2 driver in the Windows Server 2022 setup. Apparently this driver doesn't have the same UEFI only limitation.

Since this server board doesn't allow a mixed configuration with AHCI and ESRT2, it seems strange that Intel would release a driver that requires UEFI if it's not a supported configuration.

I also tried Windows Server 2019 and it was the same.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, bimmerdriver1.

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support Forums.

I received your ticket regarding this particular boot problem, and I will be sharing some details and links with you.

Due to this product being discontinued in "end of interactive support" status (EOIS), Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request. Thank you for understanding.

Some online resources and self-service support options for Intel® Server Board S1200BT Family:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/61077/server-products/legacy-server-products/intel-server-board-s1200bt-family.html

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006987/server-products.html

The thread will remain open in case other community users would like to participate, meaning that it will not be monitored by Intel support, but if you have any other questions, or we can help you in any way in the future, please open a new thread, or contact us using any of the available support methods:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos