Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4871 Discussions

Comparison of STREAM benchmark over different Intel Xeon Servers

sunilk
Beginner

I have conducted some experiments with STREAM benchmarks on the following servers and observed unexpected trends:

Characteristics of Machine A:

It is a dual socket machine.

Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6126 CPU @ 2.60GHz (Codename: Skylake)

Cores per socket = 12; L3 cache = 19.25 MB; TDP=125W; Powercap range: [65W to 125W]

Total RAM at machine A = 192GB (96 GB per socket)

Characteristics of Machine B: 

It is a quad socket machine.

Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 5318H CPU @ 2.50GHz (Codename: Cooperlake)

Cores per socket = 18; L3 cache =24.75 MB; TDP=150W; Powercap range: [82W to 150W]

Total RAM at machine B = 256GB (64 GB per socket).

Characteristics of Machine C: 

It is a dual socket machine.

Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 5418Y CPU @ 2.0GHz (Codename: Sapphire)

Cores per socket = 24; L3 cache = 45 MB; TDP=185W; Powercap range: [115W to 185W]

Total RAM at machine C = 192GB (96 GB per socket)

I ran the STREAM benchmark, where the total memory usage is 2.2 GB. I observed that the execution time on machine A decreases when we increase the power cap. However, the execution time remains constant on machines B and C when we increase the power cap from MIN to MAX.

I ran another version of STREAM, where the total memory usage is quite low (22 MB). The execution time decreases on machines A, B, and C when we increase the power cap. This suggests that we can observe certain trends when DRAM access is negligible or when pages fit into the cache.

I am unable to understand why machines B and C produce the lowest performance for the STREAM benchmark, even though B and C are of a newer generation compared to machine A.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
NormanS_Intel

Hello techsun,

Thank you for posting in the community!

To ensure you receive the most specialized assistance, we have a dedicated forum that addresses these specific concerns. Therefore, I will be moving this discussion to our Server Forum. This will allow our knowledgeable community and experts to provide you with timely and accurate solutions.

Best regards,

Norman S.

Intel Customer Support Engineer

0 Kudos
sunilk
Beginner

Hi Norman,

Can you please share the link to a new post on the server forum posted by you?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Sazirah
Employee

Hi techsun, Thank you for posting in Intel Community Forum.

Upon checking, we found out that there is another dedicated team that is more expert in assisting your issue. Therefore, we strongly advise you contact them at: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/overview.html#gs.bn1h2z

Please be inform that you require to have RDC access, please make sure you register to it and after that, you can get their help in this matter by clicking 'Get Help' on the DevZone website.

Regards,

Sazzy_Intel

0 Kudos
sunilk
Beginner

Hi Sazirah,

I am unable to find the registration link to get RDC access. Please help me with this.

0 Kudos
Sachinks
Employee

Hello techsun,

Greetings!

You can access our RDC page using this link : https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/resources-documentation/developer.html#gs.bn9blf

Please follow the steps given in the below article to know about creating an RDC account.

How to Apply for an Intel® Resource and Documentation Center (RDC) and/or Intel® Developer Zone (Intel® DevZone) Account:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058073/programs/resource-and-documentation-center.html

Regards,

Sachin KS

0 Kudos
Sazirah
Employee

Hi techsun,

Good day.

I would like to follow up with you regarding this issue. May I know if you have done the RDC registration and contacted the RDC team?

Regards,

Sazzy_Intel

0 Kudos
sunilk
Beginner

Yes, I have registered to RDC, and I can see my question posted over there. Do I need to do anything else?

0 Kudos
Poojitha
Employee

Hi techsun,

Greetings for the day!

Thank you for your response. We kindly request you to wait for some time as the RDC team will contact you for further assistance

Thank you for your understanding!

Regards,

Poojitha

0 Kudos
Sazirah
Employee

Hi techsun,

Good day.

I would like to follow up with you regarding your issue. May I know if everything is working fine at your end?

Regards,

Sazzy_Intel

0 Kudos
sunilk
Beginner

Hi,

I did not get any answer in my inbox regarding the issue. I am also not able to see my question in RDC, which I could see before.

Please check this issue.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Sazirah
Employee

Hi techsun,

By any chance do you have the link to your posting in RDC? Kindly try to repost again to them.

Regards,

Sazzy_Intel

0 Kudos
sunilk
Beginner

Hi Sazzy,

I don't have an exact link to post. I can sign into account, but there is nothing in my inbox. 

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hi techsun,

Greetings for the day!

Thank you for your response. Could you please confirm if you have signed up in Intel® Resource and Documentation Center (RDC) and/or Intel® Developer Zone (Intel® DevZone) Account.

Regards,

Amina

Intel Server Support​

0 Kudos
sunilk
Beginner

Yes, I have signed up in the Intel® Resource and Documentation Center (RDC) under the standard developer zone.

0 Kudos
Sazirah
Employee

Hi techsun,

After you completed the registration, have you received the welcome email?

Technically you can post your enquiry here: https://community.intel.com/t5/Developer-Software-Forums/ct-p/developer-software-forums

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/get-help/overview.html#gs.byg0cr

Regards,

Sazzy_Intel

0 Kudos
sunilk
Beginner

Hey, Thanks for letting me know about the right forum. I have reposted it in developer-software-forums.

0 Kudos
Sachinks
Employee

Hello techsun,

Thank you for the update and thank you for posting the query.

We will keep this case on monitoring. Kindly let us know if you get an update from the Developers forums.

Regards,

Sachin KS

0 Kudos
Sazirah
Employee

Hi techsun,

Good day.

This is regarding your issue, understand that you have posted in developer-software-forums.

Let us know if they have responded to you in the forum.

Regards,

Sazzy_Intel

0 Kudos
Sazirah
Employee

Hi techsun,

Good day.

This is regarding your issue reported, since you have posted in developer-software-forums, we will proceed with closing this forum ticket from our end. The team will assist you further on your enquiries in the developer forum.

Thank you for using Intel products and services,

Regards,

Sazzy_Intel

0 Kudos