Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Disk Write Cache on board RAID ESRT II

BVerd
Beginner

I have seen demo videos on how to configure ESRT II, is There anyone knows and explain more about DWC write cache, if they would set ON or OFF on onboard RAID support, like for instance on intel server board s1200bts has an onboard RAID, do they need to turn ON the DWC in ESRT II even though they don't have a battey backup unit a.k.a BBU? what happen when power failure comes? what if i set to turn off The DWC? what will happen to the performance on the disk drive? which one would i rather prefer for the server s1200bts the ESRT II or the RST?

Please anyone could help on this technology, appreciated much on your comment and answer...Thank you!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Seann,

By enabling write caching, file system corruption and/or data loss could occur if the machine experiences a power, device or system failure and cannot be shutdown properly.

A battery backup unit (BBU) provides alternate power until data is written from cache to disk in the case of a power failure.

ESRT2 does not have a BBU capability.

Regards,

John

0 Kudos
BVerd
Beginner

Sir John,

Thank you again sir, appreciated much for your support.

Regards,

Seann

0 Kudos
BVerd
Beginner

Sir John_s@intel,

added question sir,

How about if i Have ups that has a software which will shutdown properly. can i turn on the DWC write back onboard RAID? if that is for instance.

Seann,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Seann,

Sorry for taking so long to answer.

We might be talking about two different caching types. DWC or Disk Write Caching is a soft disk cache that works by storing data in system's RAM cache. By enabling write caching, file system corruption and/or data loss could occur if the machine experiences a power, device or system failure and cannot be shutdown properly.

Intel RAID controllers have a cache setting called write back and write through, Write Back Cache uses RAID controller cache for about the same purpose. Some Intel RAID controllers use a battery or maintenance free (cap) backup unit to power the cache for a short time in the event of a power failure to permit the data in cache to be written to disk.

Your UPS will enable the system to shutdown properly in the event of a condition that is behind the UPS, i.e., an environmental power failure, not a system power failure, such as a power supply failing. The battery backup unit would do that. ESRT2 doesn't have BBU capability.

Regards,

John

0 Kudos
BVerd
Beginner

Do you mean sir in system cache on ESRT 2 that doesn't have BBU capabilty, the write back will turn off in system Raid. if onboard RAID will use? may i know and ask if our Intel server board s1200bts has a onboard RAID which in system cache writing will turn on the write back cause as you said before ERST II doesn't have BBU capability,

So therefore i will turn off the write cache back off.

Thanks very much sir john_s@intel for your support, appreciated much for you technical support.

Thank you again:)

0 Kudos