I have a homemade server with this parts :

Cpu i3 560

M/b intel s3420gplc

Ram kingston kvr1333d3e9sk2/4gi 2x2gb

Raid controller srcsatawb raid 6

Disk 8x2tb wd2003fyys re4

Psu corsair hx850

Os win2008r2 standard

if a drive fault, how to know which drive fault of these drives?? the controller has 8x2 pins for drive fault led..

i searched for more technical detailes in intel site and nothing found..

can any one help??

thank you..

7 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Only if you're using a hot-swap backplane that supports drive fault LED, and you have connected the correct cable to the backplane.

ATsit2
Novice

Dear Edward.. your answer is very helpful.. now i'm serching for backplane..

the backplanes of intel.... at this http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/backplane_cabling_for_s5000_pedestal_system... pdf says that

Expander Backplanes:

AXX6DRV3GEXP or AXX4DRV3GEXP

SAS in-band.

No Fault LED control cable needed.

Note: Intel® RAID Controllers SRCSATAWB offers expander backplane support.

and

Non-Expander Backplanes:

AXX6DRV3G or AXX4DRV3G

RAID card connector: J6, white

Backplane connector: SES, white

Cable: 3-pin SES

Note: RAID FW 420 or higher is required.

which of these is the best solution for me to choose??

please remember that my controller has 8x2 fault drive pins.

Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Both will work with your controller. If you use a expander backplane, you don't need any cable besides the SAS data cable. If you use a non-expander backplane, you'll need to connect the 3-pin SES cable for the drive fault LED to work properly. I believe the cable comes with the backplane. The 8x2 fault drive pins are not used with Intel backplane.

ATsit2
Novice

f i connect a hdd activity led to one of these 8x2 pins and before i boot the server i disable one or two drive/s for drive failure, i think the led start blinking?? is that true??.. or if you have something to suggest it will be more helpful for me..

Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

That 8x2 pins connector gives you 8 fault LED signals - one LED per drive. Meaning if you connect the HDD activity LED to two pins for drive 1, and then your drive 2 fails, the LED won't start blinking. LED behavior is documented in http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/srcsatawb/sb/CS-028266.htm TPS section 2.7.4.1. It won't be necessary if you're using an Intel backplane.

ATsit2
Novice

and if i connect 8 leds??

if any drive from 8 that are connected on the controller faild.. that led shuld be blinking

is that correct??

Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Yes that's correct.