Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Drive fault led??

ATsit2
Novice

Hello to all community...

I have a homemade server with this parts :

Cpu i3 560

M/b intel s3420gplc

Ram kingston kvr1333d3e9sk2/4gi 2x2gb

Raid controller srcsatawb raid 6

Disk 8x2tb wd2003fyys re4

Psu corsair hx850

Os win2008r2 standard

if a drive fault, how to know which drive fault of these drives?? the controller has 8x2 pins for drive fault led..

i searched for more technical detailes in intel site and nothing found..

can any one help??

thank you..

7 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Only if you're using a hot-swap backplane that supports drive fault LED, and you have connected the correct cable to the backplane.

0 Kudos
ATsit2
Novice

Dear Edward.. your answer is very helpful.. now i'm serching for backplane..

the backplanes of intel.... at this http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/backplane_cabling_for_s5000_pedestal_systems_3_0.pdf pdf says that

Expander Backplanes:

AXX6DRV3GEXP or AXX4DRV3GEXP

SAS in-band.

No Fault LED control cable needed.

Note: Intel® RAID Controllers SRCSATAWB offers expander backplane support.

and

Non-Expander Backplanes:

AXX6DRV3G or AXX4DRV3G

RAID card connector: J6, white

Backplane connector: SES, white

Cable: 3-pin SES

Note: RAID FW 420 or higher is required.

which of these is the best solution for me to choose??

please remember that my controller has 8x2 fault drive pins.

Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Both will work with your controller. If you use a expander backplane, you don't need any cable besides the SAS data cable. If you use a non-expander backplane, you'll need to connect the 3-pin SES cable for the drive fault LED to work properly. I believe the cable comes with the backplane. The 8x2 fault drive pins are not used with Intel backplane.

0 Kudos
ATsit2
Novice

f i connect a hdd activity led to one of these 8x2 pins and before i boot the server i disable one or two drive/s for drive failure, i think the led start blinking?? is that true??.. or if you have something to suggest it will be more helpful for me..

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

That 8x2 pins connector gives you 8 fault LED signals - one LED per drive. Meaning if you connect the HDD activity LED to two pins for drive 1, and then your drive 2 fails, the LED won't start blinking. LED behavior is documented in http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/srcsatawb/sb/CS-028266.htm TPS section 2.7.4.1. It won't be necessary if you're using an Intel backplane.

0 Kudos
ATsit2
Novice

and if i connect 8 leds??

if any drive from 8 that are connected on the controller faild.. that led shuld be blinking

is that correct??

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos