Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 difficulties connecting

ssvin
Novice

I have Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165. Windows 10 pro. I've tried every solution so far; resetting, updating, downgrading driver, delete, changing parameters etc. but nothing helps. The thing is when my HP notebook wakes after sleep it takes time to find my wireless network. It takes everything from 10 seconds to a couple of minutes and sometimes not at all. Or it finds it but stays in connection mode. The problem comes and goes and has been a problem for the last 6-8 months. I can reset the network and I got no problem for 2-10 days and then it starts over again with not connecting with no reason so far I can see. I get the warning: 6105 - deauth after EAPOL key exchange sequence.

68 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello svendsvin,

We understand you're experiencing issues re-connecting to WiFi after your notebook resumes from sleep.

In order to better assist you, we would like to take a better look at your current hardware configuration and settings. Please download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility. While connected to your wireless network, select to scan for everything including third-party logs. Once the scan is complete, save the report and upload with your next response.

To enable attachments, please select the option to "use advanced editor" while replying.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
ssvin
Novice

Attached is my settings.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello svendsvin,

- What is the model of your router or wireless access point?

We noticed that you're connecting to a legacy Wireless-G network at a limited connection rate. While wireless standards are backward compatible, routers can often encounter issues when paired with a newer wireless adapter.

If your router/AP is newer than 802.11g, you may need to review it's settings. If it's not, our main recommendation will be to upgrade it to an 802.11n or 802.11ac model. Alternatively, you may downstep your wireless adapter to increase compatibility:

- Device Manager > Network Adapters > Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 > Properties > https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Advanced Settings

1. HT Mode = Disabled (or HT Mode, if 'disabled' is not available)

2. Wireless Mode = 3. 802.11g

Note: this will limit your system to networks in the 2.4 GHz band.

Let us know if this helps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
ssvin
Novice

Thanks for answering. My model is Netopia 3347 ADSL2/2+Router 802.11g/b, PSTN.

I have two other laptops (no Intel drivers) and they awake without problems after sleep so I'm not convinced it's my router causing the problem.

I'll try your recommended settings and see what happens. What exactly does it mean that my system will be limited to networks in the 2.4 GHz band?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello svendsvin,

We don't suspect there is an issue with your router. However, this could be a slight compatibility issue. Is it possible to reproduce the issue while connected to a different, newer network? (802.11g is a 2002 standard. 802.11b was released in 1999).

Your wireless adapter is capable of connecting to 802.11ac networks, using the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz bands. Modifying these settings to increase compatibility with 802.11g routers means your adapter will not be able to detect any newer 5 GHz networks. With your current router this will not be an issue as it only broadcasts signals in 2.4 GHz.

Let us know if the setting changes make any difference.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
ssvin
Novice

Hello Carlos

I've tried your recommended settings (HT Mode = Disabled and Wireless Mode = 3. 802.11g). That didn't have any effect. On the contrary. It couldn't find my wireless network at all. Just staying in connecting mode. So I'm back to default settings.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello svendsvin,

Let's try switching you to a driver only installation:

1. Download and extract our latest IT Admin driver for your adapter: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27206 WiFi_20.0.2_Driver64_Win10.zip

2. Under Programs and Features in the Control Panel, uninstall any instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, choose to "discard settings."

3. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 and uninstall it. Make sure to mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."

4. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else, then press OK.

5. Reboot your computer.

6. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 again, this time choose to "Update driver software..." > Select the option to "Locate and install driver software manually." Here you will need to direct the wizard to the location where you extracted the IT Admin Drivers package back in step one.

Regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
ssvin
Novice

Hello Carlos,

I already did that. After I toyed with the settings the problem started again and I just did what you now recommend. Also I tried it before but not with this new driver but alas it didn't work. Unfortunately it seems like the problem continues with 19.51.7.2.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello svendsvin,

To confirm, when your system comes back from sleep, does disabling then re-enabling the adapter from device manager allow you to reconnect normally for the following few days?

Or do you "disconnect" then "connect" from the network from the connections list?

Regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
ssvin
Novice

Hello Carlos,

I have either toggled the windows wifi button or, mostly, tried to reconnect from the connections list. Most of the time nothing work. I then use windows repairing tool, it some times gets me connected, or I re-enter my password (because it asks for it) several times. The most successful way to get me connected is to wait which can be 2-5 minutes if at all. I've never tried to dis- re-enabling from device manager. I'll try that for some days and see what's going to happen.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello svendsvin,

Let us know if that affects the behavior in any way.

Additionally, lets make sure that your wireless services are set up to start up automatically:

1. Right click on the start menu icon and select Run, or press the Windows* Key + R.

2. Type "services.msc" and press OK.

3. Find and double click on the Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Zero Configuration Service (this may not be there if you're still on the driver only installation).

4. Make sure startup type is set to automatic.

5. Do the same for WLAN AutoConfig Service.

If the issue happens again, please check these services and let us know if they are shown as "Running" or "Stopped."

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
ssvin
Novice

Hello Carlos,

Toggling the adapter from device manager didn't have any effect. I reinstalled Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software. Zero Configuration Service was already set to automatic. WLAN AutoConfig Service was set to manual so I switched to automatic. The problem still persists. Both services are running when I check.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello svendsvin,

Thanks for the update. We're looking into this problem and will let you know when we're ready with more troubleshooting.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello svendsvin,

Please confirm the following:

1. Device Manager > Network Adapters > Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 > Properties > Power Management Tab > Here, the option to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" should have a checkmark.

2. Right click the start menu > Select Power Options > Click on "Change plan settings" next to your current power plan > Click on "Change advanced power settings." > Wireless Adapter Settings > Power Saving Mode > Set both options to Maximum Performance

3. Please run and share the WLAN Report for your system (https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/47080-create-wlan-report-windows-10-a.html How-to steps by tenforums.com)

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
ssvin
Novice

Hello Carlos,

1) It's checked (and has been it all the time).

2) Both options are seth to maximum performance (and have been it all the time).

3) Attached.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello svendsvin,

Please disable the Microsoft WiFi Direct Virtual Adapter, reboot, then try to reproduce the issue.

1) Device Manager > Network Adapters > Microsoft WiFi Direct Virtual Adapter > Right click > Disable.

2) Reboot.

Let us know if this has any effect on the problem.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
ssvin
Novice

Hello Carlos,

There were 16 hidden versions of Microsoft WiFi Direct Virtual Adapter. The only one I could disable was # 16 so I did. The rest I deleted. So far it looks promising but I've seen that pattern before. I'll test your suggestion for a couple of weeks and get back with my conclusion.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

svendsvin,

We look forward to your next update.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
ssvin
Novice

Hello Carlos,

No need to wait 2 weeks for my answer, because disabling Microsoft WiFi Direct Virtual Adapter didn't have an effect.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello svendsvin,

Just to make sure we've covered our bases, could you please switch to the latest OEM specific driver, and make sure that your BIOS is fully updated?

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

- https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-17-y000-notebook-pc-series/10862315/model/11915538/swItemId/ob-174549-1?sku=W7Q75EA Intel® Wireless LAN Drivers for HP 17-y004no* Notebook

- https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-17-y000-notebook-pc-series/10862315/model/11915538/swItemId/ob-184509-1?sku=W7Q75EA HP* Notebook System BIOS Update (AMD Processors) for HP 17-y004no* Notebook

Note: You will need to uninstall the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software from Programs and Features and the driver from device manager before switching driver versions.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos