Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

Fan speed still high after firmware update on Server System P4308CP4MHEN

MKiel1
Beginner

The motherboard (a S2600CP4) is preinstalled in the system, so the cabling should be correct.

When I first turned the system on. both fans ran at hight speed. After doing the firmware update, the top fan (Fan 2) is running correctly. But the lower fan, which I believe is fan 1, is still running very fast.

I have updated the firmware using the EFI a second time.

When updating the FRU, I see the following messages.

The system detects the Intel Server Chassis P4000M Non Redundant Fan SKU is detected,

8 x 3.5 Hot Swap Backplane 1 is deteced

Probing system for sensors and FRU device hardware...

Updating FRU areas

Processing FRU File .\S2600CP.fru...

Do you want to update the chassis info area of the FRU? I choose "N"

Do you wan to enter the chassis manufacturer name (Additional Field 1)? I choose "n"

Do you want to update the system info area of the FRU? I choose "n"

It does show FRUSDR update completed.

When I go into the BIOS under System Information I see: BMC firmware revision 1.22.6890, ME Firmware rev. 02.01.07.328, SDR rev. SDR Package 1.11.

I have played around with the System Acoustic and Performance Configuration, but those changes did not make any difference.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
David_A_Intel

You have covered most of the troubleshooting listed in our article http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-022809.htm "System Fan runs Too Fast or Too Loud". I would recommend inspecting the installation of the side cover to make sure it is properly mounted. If it is, I would recommend recording the logs of your system using our https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24237 Intel System Information Retrieval Utility to investigate what might be triggering the fan speed.

0 Kudos
MKiel1
Beginner

I was able to speak with a tech. at Intel today. He had me try an older firmware version. But that did not work. He told me the BMC should be replaced.

Since it is a brand new server, I was issued am RMA for a replacement.

0 Kudos