Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Hot swapping (hot plug/unplug) on Intel Raid-Controller RSP3TD160F

ylemo
Beginner

Hi,

My company has bought a Intel Raid Controller RSP3TD160F.

I'm looking for some information ine order to do hot swapping (hot plug and unplug) with some disk arrays.

I have created a RAID 0 logical device with 4 SSD disks. I have changed their state to "offline". I have tried to unplug them then to plug them.

The raid card didn't reconize them, their state was "Unconfigured bad". With the GUI, I changed their state from "Unconfigured bad" to "Foreign Drives".

So I think this is not the right process.

Can you help me? What should I have to do?

I have installed it on a computer with Windows 10, here some informations about :

Intel Raid Controller : RSP3TD160F

Update Firmware : 5.020.00-0838 (Date 11/09/2017)

Driver : 7.701.04.00 (Date 7/7/2017)

Thank you for helping me.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello YohannZDS,

Thanks for joining the community.

Before to continue let me ask you a couple basic questions: Are you trying to test the hot swappable hdds on a server or when you say a Win10 computer you are talking about a regular desktop computer?

In case you are using a server do you know if it has a hot swap hdds backplane? The hot swappable feature replies on the hard drivers backplane more than the RAID controller card. In case you are using a server could you specify the chassis/board model so we could have a better idea what we are talking about.

Will wait for your info

Jose A.
0 Kudos
ylemo
Beginner

Hello Jose,

For your question, my company develops and makes industrial computer with a mother model SUPERMICRO X9 SRL-F. (We have others with X11 SRL-F).

Yes, it has hot swap hdds backplane.

Thank you for your reponse,

Yohann.

0 Kudos
ylemo
Beginner

I have tested different thing but it doesn't work :

1. Add a disk array with 4 SSD disks
  2. Create a RAID 0 virtual disk with these disks
  3. Set the disk states to OFFLINE
  4. Eject the disk array
  5. Put the same disk array
  6. I Observe the disk are in the state "Unconfigured Bad"
  7. Change their states to "Unconfigured Good"
  8. I oberve the RAID 0 Virtual Disk is FOREIGN
  9. I tried to import the RAID 0 virtual disk, but it doesn't work

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello YohannZDS,

On this new generation RAID cards the management could be done on the BIOS itself but that feature is available on Intel boards only. Not sure about the 3rd party OEM to be honest.

I can see that you are using the StorCLI tool with is not fully compatible with this RAID controllers.

Since you have Windows 10 installed on this computer have you tried to install the RAID Web Console 3 tool? You can download it from this URL https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27286/Intel-RAID-Web-Console-3-for-Windows-?product=99500 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27286/Intel-RAID-Web-Console-3-for-Windows-?product=99500

This tool has been tested on this RAID controller and I think it will allow you to do the setup you are looking for.

Let me know if it works.

Regards

Jose A.
0 Kudos
ylemo
Beginner

Thank you for your answer,

I will reformulate my situation :

I have my RAID controller and a disk array ( which supports hot swapping). I want to configure a RAID 0 drive with my controller on this disk array. Afterward I want to remove my disk array then to insert the same disk array.

I was hoping the controller indentifiing the disk array and its configuration.

Following what you said, I went on the BIOS to change some option like : auto import foreign disk

I have already installed RAID Web Console 3, I have tested it. It is very ergonomic and optimised, but unfortunately It didn't solve my problem. I can't import foreign configuration, which I have created with the same RAID controller.

Here is my process :

1. Insert the disk array
  2. Create RAID 0
  3. Change the status of the disks to OFFLINE
  4. Remove the disk array
  5. Insert the disk array ( I keep the same disks)
  6. Change the status of the disks from Unconfigured Bad to Unconfigured Good
  7. Can't import the foreign RAID 0 configuration

Why can I import them? How can I do? Should I build another RAID? Can't I find my data?

Thank for your help

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello YohannZDS,

Based on the process you describe looks like the issue could be on the step when you set the disks to OFFLINE. This seems to be writing a change in the configuration metadata that makes it to detect them as OFFLINE when you change them as unconfigured good from the RWC3.

What you can try is the following:

1. Insert disk array

2. Create RAID 0

3. Turn the server off

4. Remove the disk array

5. Turn the server back on

6. Insert the disk array

7. Go to RWC3 and check if the foreign configuration is now detected

Let me know if this works

Jose A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello YohannZDS,

Do you have any updates, questions or comments in regards to this issue?

Please do not hesitate to contact us back.

If you consider the issue to be completed please let us know so we can proceed to mark this thread as resolved.

Regards

Jose A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello YohannZDS,

We will proceed to mark this thread as resolved. If you have further issues or questions just create a new topic.

Jose A.
0 Kudos