Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

INTEL MODULAR SERVER PROBLEM

idata
Employee

I HAVE MODUALR SERVER. 2BLADE MFS5000SI, MFSYS25 CHASSIS, WITH 2 POWER SUPPLY, E5405 (EACH BLADE HAVING 1 CPU), 4GB RAM, 300GB*4 SAS 2.5 HD, I HAVE CREATED 1 POOL ON 3 HDD. I HAVE CREATED 4 VD. (VD1 60GB ASSIGN FOR OS FOR BLADE1). (VD2 ASSIGN 100GB FOR BLADE1). (VD3 ASSIGN FOR BLADE2 FOR OS). (VD4 ASSIGN BOTH BLADE1 AND BLADE2). I HAVE ACTIVATED SHRED LUN FEATURE.

I HAVE INSTALLED OS 2003 ON BOTH SERVER ON 60GB VD. I AM FACING SOME PROBLEM. WHEN I AM COPYING SOME FILES ON SHARED LUN DRIVE FROM BLADE1 IT IS NOT SHOWING ON BLADE2. WHEN I AM COPYING FILES FROM ON SHARED LUN DRIVE BLADE 2 IT IS NOT SHOWING ON BLADE1. WHEN I AM RESTARTING THE BALDE1 OR BLADE2 IT IS GOING ON SHARED LUN DRIVE TO CHKDSK MODE.

PLSE. GIVE ME THE SOLUTION HOW CAN I ACCESS THE DATA ON SHARED LUN DRIVE AT THE SAME TIME ON SAME BOTH SERVER.

imran.new@gmail.com

imran_ykgn@yahoo.com

imran_ykgn786@hotmail.com

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Richard_A_Intel1
Employee
<!-- [DocumentBodyStart:d84fbbb0-a905-4d66-b76a-5c1164afa54a] -->

Imran

You have missed a critical step! Windows uses an NTFS or FAT filesystem so you have likely formatted your shared LUN with one of these 2. However, these filesystems are NOT cluster aware. So if you want to have a shared LUN where you can read and write files from 2 or more blades, you must format the LUN with a cluster aware filesystem. For example Sanbolic Melio FS is a cluster aware filesystem but there are many many more which you can research and choose from. There may even be a free one available.

So the important thing to remember here is that the system is doing it's job correctly, but the filesystem in your case is causing the problem and will eventually corrupt your data. Whenever 2 or more servers need to read/write to the same disk space (LUN) then you must have a cluster aware filesystem installed on this virtual drive.

I hope this helps,

thanks

Richard Aikman

Intel Corp.

0 Kudos
ISHAI3
Beginner

Dear Richard,

Still i am not through with shared LUN in multiple servers. please do the needfull & suggest which is the cluster aware file system for windows 2003 server.

pls suggest freeware or trial cluster aware file system.

regards

Imran Shaikh

0 Kudos
JLodh
New Contributor II

Hi Imran,

I second Richard on this. The filesystem on your VD has to be cluster-aware so we need to know which cluster-aware filesystem you format it with. I am a bit skeptic over NTFS not being a cluster-aware filesystem cause in my knowledge it is a cluster-aware filesystem while FAT isn't, let me confirm and get back to you on this. Meanwhile is it possible for you to send me your configurations via email? I have not experienced any such problem yet in this regard however I can test this and send you the considerations and changes required.

--

Warm Regards,

Javed Lodhi

Intel Go Green, Save The Environment!

0 Kudos
HERBERT_H_Intel
Employee

Please remember that the shared lun function allows two systems to share the same volume but purely on a hardware level. you will still need to have the OS to be aware that this functionality. (windows clustering services provides this in windows).

OJ

0 Kudos