Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors

IPMI

DmitriySAV
Beginner
Hello!
Is it possible to remove the state of front panel LEDs of Intel servers using ipmi ?
I'm interested in something similar to the command for Oracle / Sun servers: ipmitool sunoem led get sys.alert.led

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello DmitriySAV,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

To better assist you, can you please let us know the following:

• What is the model of your server? is this a Data Center Block?
  • May we know why you want to remove the LED status from the front panel?

Regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
DmitriySAV
Beginner

Hello, Adrian M.

My customer is wondering - is it possible to get data on the state of the front panel indicators according to the principle as implemented in Oracle / Sun servers: ipmitool sunoem led get sys.alert.led?
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19121-01/sf.x4500/819-4363-12/ipmi_to_view_x4500.html He has many servers in data centers and therefore it makes no sense to be tied to a specific server model.
0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello DmitriySAV,

Thank you for your response.

I understand that there are too many systems and might not be necessary to be tied to one specific model however we would appreciate an example of one of the systems being used in this configuration to check on our end and verify if the option could be possible since depending on the system the result may vary so it would be great to have the model of the server board.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello DmitriySAV,

I would like to add the following information about your questions:

In regards to the first question:  Is it possible to remove the state of front panel LEDs of Intel servers using IPMI?

This option is not currently available, what is allowed is in diagnostic mode, you can override the BMC command to the LEDs for factory test to make sure the LEDs turn on and off as expected, but it is not intended for run time.

About the second question, in order to get the System Status LED using the IPMI, you can try the following commands:

1. ipmitool -Ilanplus -H 192.168.x.x -UUser -PPassword -C17 raw 0x30 0xB0

You may check the image attached to the thread (Table IPMI) which is a table reference for the IPMI LED.

For instance, if the output is:

• 20 = 00 10 00 00 = Green status LED ON 
  • 84 =  01 00 01 00 = Chassis ID on and Amber LED flashing

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
DmitriySAV
Beginner

Hello AdrianM.

ServerBoard S2600WTTR

I beg your pardon, the first question was simply not formulated that way. There is no need to remove the state of the indicators. the goal is to get the system status indicator using IPMI.

20 = 00 10 00 00 = Green status LED ON
84 = 01 00 01 00 = Chassis ID on and Amber LED flashing

this is what we need !

Are there more complete tables with LED meanings?

Regards, DmitriySAV.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello DmitriySAV,

I appreciate the details provided, I will check for more information about the commands and post back soon.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello DmitriySAV,

Thank you for your patience.

After investigating, I found that there is documentation on Intel Resource & Design Center that contains the LED commands output list, however, in order to access this documentation is required to have an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement). If you have one you can access the site and download the documentation but if not you can also request it on the Intel Resource & Design Center website.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/my-intel/design-center-sign-in.html?redirect=https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design/resource-design-center.html

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
DmitriySAV
Beginner

Thanks for the helpful answers Adrian.

I'll try to study the materials.

Regards, Dmitriy.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello DmitriySAV,

I am glad to know you found the answers helpful, let us know if you have any other questions or if the community thread can be closed?

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
DmitriySAV
Beginner

yes, you can close it.

Thank you.

0 Kudos