I was trying to get some up2date information on the SS4200-E.
1) will there be an firmware upgrade to EMC Lifeline v2 available for the SS4200-E?
This question was also posted in Intel Community Forums months ago - still no answer.
2) Are Seagate Barracuda LP 5900.12 2000GB, SATA II (ST32000542AS) supported - to be more general: are new drives bigger then 1 TB supported? I again checked Intel Forums - no definite answer. There seem to be Issues with Western Digital GP Drives - but there were always some problems with these drives in certain configurations.
There are companies out selling the SS4200-E with 8TB (4x2TB Drives) - so are these valid configurations or not?
Maybe releasing a new Tested Hardware and Operating System List (THOL) would be good idea - the last version 1.3 is from January 2009.
3) Will an 6TB Raid5 work created from 4x 2TB Drives?
There are posts stating the Raid5 could be filled up to 4096GB - after the reboot, the raid went offline and all data was lost. To me that seems like a serious issue - also no helpful reply here.
4) After reading the release notes of the latest available LifeLine Release, there is an issue mentioned, that Media Streaming of Files bigger then 2GB is not supported. Will this issue be fixed?
All I can tell ya is that I am using Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB HHDs and they worked fine
with the latest firmware available on the INTeL site. Haven't tried 2GB But my gut feeling
is that they should work.
There hasn't been a software update for a long time, let's hope the next update, if any,
is v2. I have a sneaky suspesion that that is not in the cards.
I'm also interested in whether or not Intel will be releasing the updated firmware from EMC. The updated firmware includes a number of desirable features including, for me, VMware ESX support which is sadly missing in the current firmware. Would someone from Intel please look into this for us?
We are an IT company that has sold many ss4200-e's to our customers however clients have been asking for more hd capacity.
I'm just updating this thread and we'd be grateful if someone from Intel could reply re. the following:
1) Are 2TB hdd's or 1.5TB ones supported? What about the 4096MB limitation?
2) The tested hw list is now quite old (from Jan. 2009). Intel's customers would certainly appreciate an up to date list as there are many new hdd's in the market (eg WD 1TB Caviar Black) that work with the SS4200 and not in the THOL...