Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Intel S2600st not entering bios stuck with fans running hard and no beeps

dazza2502
Beginner

Hi I have an Intel S2600STBR motherboard not entering bios stuck with fans running hard and no beeps

I have done trouble shooting, checked both BIOS Recovery and Default are in the default position, I have removed the battery. I have removed RAM and still no beeps.

Hardware appears to correct according to install and setup guide!

I would appreciate any advice to get this server running at least into bios.

Regards

Darren

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JoseH_Intel

Hello dazza2502,

Thank you for joining the community

Since you have already troubleshot the system, something else I think you can try before considering a warranty replacement will be to try to boot the board with no processor, no RAM, no HDDs, and no PCIe cards at all so we can force the board to at least beep. Also can you check for any LED codes in the board itself

Besides that can you tell if there is any image in the screen?

I will look forward to your updates

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit:

https://intel.com/support/serverbios

0 Kudos
dazza2502
Beginner

Hi JoseH

Thank you for your reply I really appreciate the advice.

I have removed everything Processor, HDD RAM etc and I am getting 1-5-2-1 beep codes, No CPU installed. Reinstalled the CPU and no beep codes, the system seems to hang,  on board lights are 4 solid green and 4 solid amber and a single light flashing green next to them. Fans are running on full like before.

Is this a compatibility problem with the CPU? The CPU installed is a Silver 4208!

Thank you for helping me.

Regards

Darren

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello dazza2502,

Thanks for the update. At least it looks like the board is alive. Checking in ark.intel.com the Xeon Silver 4208 CPU is compatible with the S2600STBR board system, but it is not with the S2600STB. So depending on the exact model you have it might not be compatible or you will need to update the BIOS in order to make it to recognize the CPU correctly and boot.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
dazza2502
Beginner

Hi JoseH

Thank you for the reply, the board is definitely a s2600STBR so I guess the next step will be a BIOS update but I am away until Wednesday 23 June 2021 and will give it a go then. 

I will check the video out that tells you how to do it, will the BIOS update work from a USB flash drive without the other hardware attached?

Appreciate all you great help in my problem.

Regards

Darren

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello dazza2502,

I will wait to your update on next Wednesday 23rd.

The system needs to boot in order to perform the BIOS update. You can boot it up with 1 CPU and 1 memory but it definitely needs to get into the UEFI shell so you can access the FW image from the USB flash drive. You can follow this video in case you don't have it yet Intel® Bios Firmware Update - Product Support - Intel Sales

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
dazza2502
Beginner

Hi JoseH

I downloaded the BIOS update for the S26000STBR board which is the model on the box and put it into the USB port and still nothing other than the fans running full blast.

I removed the RAM from the board and restarted the system hoping to get an error been but it starts up with no beep codes and the fans just run full blast. I tried the troubleshooting for the fans but it had no impact. 

I am wondering if the on board graphics may be an issue? I may have to go out and buy a graphics card to test it but I cannot under why there are no beep error codes and all the on board lights appear to be normal!

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards

Darren

0 Kudos
dazza2502
Beginner

Hi JoseH

I installed a PCI-Express x 16 card into the first slot and tested with and without the RAM and came up with the same issues. Server starts up, no graphics and no beep codes and after it restarts the system does nothing but run the fans at high speed.

Only guess is the motherboard is faulty or it does not like the CPU I am not sure but it is very frustrating when the compatibility guide says the CPU is compatible. 

Anyway if this is not resolved soon I may have to buy anther server board as my customer is getting frustrated with the delays.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards

Darren

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello dazza2502,

I definitely understand your frustration. By any chance is it possible to test the system with a different model CPU (still within the compatibility list of course). In case of a board failure we will be able to get it replaced under warranty.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello dazza2502,

I am following up to check if there are some progress on your issue. As a quick summary let me list the troubleshooting steps done so far:

• S2600STBR motherboard not entering bios stuck with fans running hard and no beeps
  • We were able to force the board to beep by booting it up with no CPU and no RAM on it
  • We determined the Xeon Silver 4208 CPU is compatible with the S2600STBR board system
  • You tested 1 CPU and 1 DIMM with the same outcome
  • You even tested a discrete graphics card to discart video output issues
  • Last try is to test a different model CPU (waiting for outcome of this)

If you determine the board is faulty we will be more than glad to process the replacement for you. 

I will look forward to your updates

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello dazza2502,

We will proceed to mark this thread as closed. If you have further issues or questions just go ahead and submit a new topic.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
dazza2502
Beginner

Hi JoseH

Given the new graphics card did not work I had to purchase a XEON Sliver 4112 Processor and put it in and the system functioned as required.

The system did not like the late version XEON Silver 4208 processor that is on the list of Processors that should work.

I am installing Windows Server 2019 Standard on the machine after configuring the VROC RAID an all seems as it should and I am not prepared to make the change back to the 4208 so I guess I am stuck out of pocket regardless for a CPU now considered used.

May I suggest advice be given for anyone wanting to buy the S2000STBR board to take this issue into consideration before they purchase a CPU?

I appreciate all your help with the trouble shooting as it ruled out a number of issues.

Keep up the great work.

Kindest Regards

Darren

0 Kudos