Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Intel® Server System R2208GZ4GC Fans Running High/Fast

MLowe2
Beginner

Why are the fans running high? No lights on by the fans are on and the power supplies lights are green.

This was running fine last week. Tried update the firmware/BIOS to 02060006 and problem remains.

The logs indicate various issues of the PS1 & PS2 not having enough voltage then they are fine; CPU # 2 is not connected; Fans are not redundant. What is the real issue here?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Bregger,

Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support.

I understand that the Intel® Server System R2208GZ4GC fans are running high/fast. No lights on by the fans are on and the power supplies lights are green, and you already updated the firmware.

I checked the log file what you attached to the case and it shows errors like: "Pwr Unit Redund reports full redundancy has been lost" or "PS2 Status reports the power supply's input (AC/DC) has been lost."

Can you please power off the server system and swap the power supplies? This mean moving the power supply current positions and restart the system. Please make sure they properly plugged in once you swap them out.

Please let me know your results.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel Technical Support

0 Kudos
MLowe2
Beginner

Thank you for your response.

I Swapped power supplies. Same results

Do note that on power up the server makes a series of beeps per: 1 Beep - 5 Beeps - 2 Beeps - 1 Beep

The yield light on the front went from Green when powered on to Amber after the 1st Beep

Looking at the back of the server the left power supply light is solid green. The right power supply is blinking green. Do note that it was like this before power supply swap.

After the BIOS displays the Fans spin up full speed.

Attached are the SEL logs after reboot.

Looking at the logs I'm experiencing the exact same issues and PS2 is not functioning even though we swapped. The problem remains on the same PS bay.

Looking forward to your reply.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Bregger,

Thank you for your quick response.

Check the beep codes 1-5-2-1 it corresponded to no CPU installed or first CPU socket is empty. Can you please check if the CPU in socket 1 is properly seated?

I'm still investigating the errors on the Power supplies. In the mean time please remove the PSU2 and restart the server. This could be the slot on PSU2. Please let me know your results.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel Technical Support

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Bregger,

I hope you are doing well today.

I'm following with you to see if you were able to check the error on the CPU, the beep codes 1-5-2-1?

I'm still investigating the issue about the fans and the power supplies errors. As soon as I get new information I let you know.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel Technical Support
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Bregger,

I'm following with you to see if you were able to check the error on the CPU, the beep codes 1-5-2-1?

I'm still investigating the issue about the fans and the power supplies errors. As soon as I get new information I let you know.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel Technical Support
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Bregger,

I'm following with you to see if you were able to check the error on the CPU, the beep codes 1-5-2-1? The Idea is to check if the CPU2 is properly seated. If so, and based on the logs indicating errors with power supply 2, can you please test the system with an external power supply?

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel Technical Support
0 Kudos
MLowe2
Beginner

Thanks for checking. I've removed power supply 2 - PS2 - and still same issue with fans.

The processor 1 and 2 have never been touch so to say it's been removed seems very odd like it burnt out or something. I look at the MOBO and procs. they look seating correctly.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Bregger,

Thank you for your quick response.

In resume, you already swap the power supplies and the CPUs are properly seated. You updated the firmware and the issue persisted.

Our next step is to test the system with an external power supply, this to discard the issue is related to the power distribution board to where the normal power supplies are connected to. The idea is to connect an external power supply directly to the server board and turn it on to see if the fans will run normal and the server do the post.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel technical Support

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Bregger,

I'm following with you to see if you were able to perform the troubleshooting I mentioned to you in the previous post.

If you do I will appreciate if you can share your results.

Best Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel Technical Support
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Bregger,

I'm following with you to see if you were able to perform the troubleshooting I mentioned to you in the previous post.

Best Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel Technical Support
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Bregger,

Best Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel Technical Support
0 Kudos